240 gallon tank

NoobtoSalt

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got my light fixed today. One of the ballasts was bad. All 12 bulbs fire up and work great now. Thanks again goes to wegotis!

I added some anthias the other day from OIAB as well. Once the tank gets cleaned up I will take some pictures and post them. I've been out of town for half the week so it doesn't look great right now..

Alright well no pictures of the yuma but I stopped into Barrier Reef's 5th anniversary sale and snagged this little guy. I've been going back and forth on doing one so I decided to swing a smaller one to see how they like the flow. Better pictures to come when the tank is cleaned up a bit.

Achilles Tang

DSC_0036-4.jpg

I should have known better...DOH!!!

This might end up being just a huge reef tank with no fish at this point.

DSC_0008-6.jpg

DSC_0006-6.jpg

At least I have my corals.

DSC_0004-7.jpg

DSC_0002-8.jpg

Oh (censored), sorry to see that buddy. This is why I'm terrified to get more tangs (scary) such awesome fish but the Ich.......... I hope your little friends pull through

He didn't make it....(sad) I'm trying to get ahold of barrierreef to see if they have any sort of fish guarantee. Most shops down here do so I really hope that his shop does as well. I was hesitant on buying this fish as it was at the time but couldn't resist. I guess I should have known better....(sad)

Well just an update. Barrier Reef although it was past their typical fish guarantee he's willing to give me half credit for the fish. Great company to deal with. He very well could have just told me I was out of luck.

Here are some updated pictures of my tank. My wife decided to add some holiday cheer to the bottom of the tank.

DSC_0042-5.jpg

DSC_0046-1.jpg

DSC_0047-1.jpg

Lookin good' date=' really gives some perspective on just how long that tank is. That light is realy cool how many t-5s does it have in it?[/quote']

It "only" has 12 bulbs...(laugh)

It's 12 39w 3ft bulbs. I'm going to probably add some more rock at some point in time but at the moment I'm kind of liking the open area of the tank. I still think I will change things a bit but we will see.

How are the other fish doing? Hopefully it was just the Achilles to come down with it :(

All of my other fish are happy and healthy. I just never seem to have any luck with fish. I'm going to stick with basic fish for the next year or so. Probably get some medium to large fish. No XXL like I was thinking for the time being. I kind of want them to grow into the tank, not already be grown for the tank. I'm probably going to get about 20-30 chromis at some point as well. I really just want some more movement in the tank. As it is I only have the eel (which I'm taking out in the next few days), Scopas Tang, Tomini Tang, and a Coral Beauty Angel. Kind of sad when that's all I've got in a 240. I don't even know what all I've lost in this dumb tank so for...DOH!

I'm glad to here the other fish are doing well, now I know why they call those tangs Ick magnets. A banana wrasse is a hardy fish that will give you lots of motion and color. I always wanted one but they get to big, plus I think they probably eat inverts. You can get them around three inches so that might be a good option? Their are also some really cool groupers that can be hardy and start out small. I always wanted a panther grouper but they can be hard to get started and get pretty ugly when full grown. Sounds like you might just end up with a monster reef, which would also be cool :)

I'm glad to here the other fish are doing well' date=' now I know why they call those tangs Ick magnets. A banana wrasse is a hardy fish that will give you lots of motion and color. I always wanted one but they get to big, plus I think they probably eat inverts. You can get them around three inches so that might be a good option? Their are also some really cool groupers that can be hardy and start out small. I always wanted a panther grouper but they can be hard to get started and get pretty ugly when full grown. Sounds like you might just end up with a monster reef, which would also be cool :)[/quote']

Yeah the sad thing is that it was supposed to become a huge FOWLR and now every time I turn around it's looking more and more like a big reef tank. I've thought about doing away with most of the remaining zoas and LPS I have and doing some really cool angels but I just can't break down and sell off the rest quite yet.

Angels would be awesome!!! I have always wanted a emperor but they do eat zoos and I think they can be a little tricky to keep. What about triggers? They are very hardy although I guess they can get really mean. You could totally get a small clown trigger though.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived