240 gallon tank

NoobtoSalt

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awesome' date=' and Bruce is a great name, I'm sure the stingray thx you for your consideration in his bad neighbor problem. Really though the Bruce is soooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! cool you lucky shark you.[/quote']

The name Bruce comes from Finding Nemo of course. Kids love the name. There a little dissapointed that Mr. Ray had to go back but they understand.

Just got a postive ID on the shark from someone on reefcentral saying it's for sure a grey bamboo shark and that it's a male. This just made my day. The males are typically quite a bit smaller which means it's almost full grown at the moment.

Scratch that idea. I have had multiple people tell me exactly how to tell the difference and baesed on what they have told me it is definately a brown banded. This shark will be with me for awhile but if your interested in getting it from me and have a larger tank let me know.

Here is a brown banded

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/bbambooshark/bbambooshark.html

Here is the grey bamboo shark

Google is great

Based on the video that you just posted it appears to be a brown banded as well. They are stating that the grey bamboo's have a fixed dorsal fin and the brown banded sharks have an extra piece on the one like the video. Mine is exactly like the video you just posted which is what the guys over at MFK are saying is a brown banded bamboo shark.

(laugh)(laugh)

I do love it. Just want to be more prepared for it if it's going to get larger. I was planning for a 2 foot shark not a 3 foot shark...DOH!

You will figure it out, and do what needs to be done for the animal. You new taking this on was going to be a challenge, that's why you did it. If you decided to keep him it's a good reason to get an even bigger tank. Any excuse to upgrade right. Start planing and saving now and it should be do able if you decide to go that direction. Don't let it get you down.

Atleast you found it alive. After I found one dried up on the floor I screened the whole top of the tank. And they still push against the top.

Yeah not sure what I'm going to do with this one.

However I am starting to agree with everyone on the shark. For it to continue to stay happy it needs a larger tank with a nice sandbed. At least three feet deep which my tank cannot provide. I'm not giving up but I do think in the near future I would like to get this guy in a bigger tank somewhere else. Doing the impulse buy thing got the best of me but I'm willing to state I was wrong. If anyone is interested in the shark please let me know through a pm. I will sell it for the same price I paid which was a great price for the size. And if I know it's going somewhere much better would be willing to loose some cash on him too. Thinking I had done research was not good enough.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Noob - you're going to be a great shark-owner. Have you ever seen the shark on display at the Shark Reef up in Silverdale, WA? I know it's a long drive, but he's beautiful. Not sure if he's for sale, but thinking of this thread I specifically went there yesterday to check out his tank.

Noob - you're going to be a great shark-owner. Have you ever seen the shark on display at the Shark Reef up in Silverdale' date=' WA? I know it's a long drive, but he's beautiful. Not sure if he's for sale, but thinking of this thread I specifically went there yesterday to check out his tank.[/quote']

Thanks. I'm trying not to get discouraged but it's hard when everyone points out the obvious..DOH!

I was talking to temporarymadness and he has a wonderful...and inexpensive idea he is doing for his shark....or sharks. He is saving a TON of cash and building something like 10 foot x 6 foot x 30 inches or something similar for under $400. He was working on something smaller but I think we convinced him of another route.

I would recommend hitting him up and see if he will spill the beans. Just a warning though, it took us hours of talking and dinner as well to get him to open up about it. Very knowledgeable, great to talk to, helpful, but secretive on his project.

I have heard sharks will grow into the size tank that they are put into but this guy was a little big to start. Woody would take him back as well . Don't give up on getting a shark though because you do have a great tank for it.

I will consider a shark again at some point but need to regroup before I do this again

Did you return the shark or something?

Not yet but I'm planning on it. If you want it you're welcome to get it for what I paid. He will charge more for sure. He didn't want to sell it for what he quoted me to begin with. Pm me for details

Not yet but I'm planning on it. If you want it you're welcome to get it for what I paid. He will charge more for sure. He didn't want to sell it for what he quoted me to begin with. Pm me for details

Thanks for the offer but we have a full house when it comes to sharks. Can't really add anymore to our current collection, last addition arrived last week. Now we just have to get the final enclosure built.

Archived