Where are the glass tank builders??

R-3

Seems like california has a 100 guys making glass tanks and none up here. I wonder why no one ever has started something. I know James at Envision rocks but some guys like glass. Just venting........havent posted in awhile and thought this would be a good discussion. Heres a cragslist link in LA.......Crazy good deals

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/for/2571089144.html

Well I think because the glass yanks are so heavy and they are not as practical as acrylic at least here. U have to reinforce the flooring for glass tanks over 125 gallons. They if u drop something on the bottom glass ur going to need a new carpet or hardwood flooring. Just thinking at loud. An they are not as forgiving when they spring a leak.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=45.690568,-122.623283

Those are decent prices. Talk to your LFS if you want a big tank. They have access there is just little demand. Central pet supply has some pretty good deals. I dont want to say prices or anything but I have purchased 125-225 gallon glass tanks by all glass aquarium for much less than those prices. They do run sales and promotions. Funny thing is a lot of time they run in conjunction with petco dollar per gallon deals.

hey guys, I've got a friend who was going to make a 60 gallon cube out of starfire for me until I got sticker shock. if anyone wants a tank built, he does great work. has worked at glass shops for years...I'm actually trying to convince him to start a side business of making tanks, so this thread is perfectly timed. he currently lives/works west of salem, often goes to Corvallis/Portland and prob eugene

Well I think because the glass yanks are so heavy and they are not as practical as acrylic at least here. U have to reinforce the flooring for glass tanks over 125 gallons. They if u drop something on the bottom glass ur going to need a new carpet or hardwood flooring. Just thinking at loud. An they are not as forgiving when they spring a leak.

The weight difference between a glass aquarium and an acrylic aquarium even at a 125g size is not substantial compared to the weight of the water. My glass tank only ways a couple hundred pounds. Filled with water, the stand, canopy, etc it is about 1400. Skipping a hundred pounds from the added tank weight is not significant IMO.

I have never broken a glass tank and only ever had one leak, in the first week due to a manufactor defect.

Gotta tell you after having 4 acrylic systems, it's all about glass. The benefits are far greater IME. I remind myself everyday when I clean the glass on my 125g in about 12 seconds.

Gotta totally disagree with ya on this one. Ive seen just as many acrylic tanks fail as glass. I think you have to reinforce flooring for almost any tank over 125G. I guess Im lucky in never dropping something hard enough to break the glass.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=45.690568,-122.623283

Those are decent prices. Talk to your LFS if you want a big tank. They have access there is just little demand. Central pet supply has some pretty good deals. I dont want to say prices or anything but I have purchased 125-225 gallon glass tanks by all glass aquarium for much less than those prices. They do run sales and promotions. Funny thing is a lot of time they run in conjunction with petco dollar per gallon deals.

Im looking for custom dimensions. Not your standard on sale Central Pet tank.

Ryan' date=' if you want to be the guinea, I have access source to Starfire glass and regular glass just need to build something to practice on (laugh)[/quote']

PM sent Charles.

hey guys' date=' I've got a friend who was going to make a 60 gallon cube out of starfire for me until I got sticker shock. if anyone wants a tank built, he does great work. has worked at glass shops for years...I'm actually trying to convince him to start a side business of making tanks, so this thread is perfectly timed. he currently lives/works west of salem, often goes to Corvallis/Portland and prob eugene[/quote']

Pm sent waiting reply.

The weight difference between a glass aquarium and an acrylic aquarium even at a 125g size is not substantial compared to the weight of the water. My glass tank only ways a couple hundred pounds. Filled with water, the stand, canopy, etc it is about 1400. Skipping a hundred pounds from the added tank weight is not significant IMO.

I have never broken a glass tank and only ever had one leak, in the first week due to a manufactor defect.

Gotta tell you after having 4 acrylic systems, it's all about glass. The benefits are far greater IME. I remind myself everyday when I clean the glass on my 125g in about 12 seconds.

For once we agree!!!

Joel that used to own Waves built my custom 200 gall with 8 holes through the 1 inch glass on the bottom to hide the drains! he is [language filter] good too!

He did build some nice ones that I saw!!

a general word back from my friend (in case others care):

1. He is short on time to do things currently, in a couple months he would have more time.

2. He has done lots of glass work requiring careful seals and is confident in his accuracy and precision.

3. He does not want to be made responsible for a glass thickness issue and is unwilling to push the limits unless all liability is removed from him

aka: he'll opt for an extra 1/4" of glass to be safe but that's spendy...it's on you if you want it thinner.

I'll add that he just made me 1/4" lids (4 pieces) for my 55 that are awesome and pretty cheap. I think I got a little bit of a special deal since I've known him so long, but still...very reasonable and 1/4" is freaking thick for a 23" wide lid! (I have a center brace)

Archived