30 Gallon cube sps dominated reef tank

saltygobie

I am getting ready to move to my new place and in the process i am going to be upgrading from a 10 Gallon standard to a 30 Gallon cube that is a 2ft wide and 2ft deep and think 18" tall.

The goal

Is to have a 30 Gallon cube thats Sps dominated maybe very few Lps or a clam or two on the sand bed.

My experiences with reef keeping

I have had nanos to a 90 gallon corner reef tank but they have always been softies and Lps.

Well this is the first tank i will be build while a member of pnwmas was on reef frontiers for along time and moved back home to salem and this is the local forum. Well i m setting up a 30 gallon sps dominated reef tank and it will have a sump but i do have some questions so i thought no were better to ask. just remember i am on a budget since i just moved back and am trying to get settle back into salem but still need a reef tank lol im addicted.

First question is what type of light. i was thinking a 175w metal halide with a 20k bulb maybe with some led attnics , but what do u guys think?

What and how many powerheads would u run?

Next sence i have never done a sps dominated tank is there any paramters that i should watch or something i should dose for now?

And is there any equipment that u would recommed that i use that would only be for a sps tank.

Thank you for any advice, info or experiences that will help me with my 30 gallon sps tank.

For lighting I'd recommend a 250watt radium, 175 is sufficient for most, but 250 is better for almost all Sps and clams.

Look into a nice reflector, it will make a huge difference in appearance and output. Lumenbright, lumenmax, or similar style.

You should also consider led lighting. the technology is coming around, and long term it just makes alot of sense.

I have a very similar cube aquarium and I only need one powerhead...ecotech mp40 will do the trick nicely and looks clean.

As far as parameters go, you should be monitoring for stability.

calcium - 450ish

carbonate hardness(kH) 9-10dKH

magnesium 1350

Nitrate 0

First question is what type of light. i was thinking a 175w metal halide with a 20k bulb maybe with some led attnics , but what do u guys think?

If you are doing Metal Halides I thnk the 175 would be fine but a lot has to do with whatthe reflector is-actually more has to do with what reflector you will be using

What and how many powerheads would u run?

The MP40 is SAWEET but I think you mentioned budget (whistle)-I would shoot for a turn over rate of 40-60x for an SPS tank (minimum) so you choose the power heads that fit your budget-I run all Vortechs and Tunzes for their great rating and low wattage

Next sence i have never done a sps dominated tank is there any paramters that i should watch or something i should dose for now?

My experiance with SPS is that can thrive in a varying level of params (ie KH, and Ca, Mg) but that they dont tolerate swings-I would use a calcuim reactor with a controller or dosing pump. Do n'ttry and test once a week and expect success. There are plenty that may say it works for them but I can say I have never seeing a thriving SPS tank where the person did not use a dosing pump or a Ca Rx/controller combo.

And is there any equipment that u would recommed that i use that would only be for a sps tank.

I'm biased to Calcium reactors used with a controller and APEX is my controller of choice but I use all the "bells and whistles" that it offers except the ORP probe.

I would say my tank is SPS dominate (laugh)

Equipment list;

Calcium reactor

Controller

skimmer

Phosban Reactor

Thats it, besides of course a good reflector or go overkill on the wattage to make up for sub par reflector

I keep my params at(my controller keeps the Ca and KH rock steady(clap));

Ca-420

KH-10.6

Mg-1450-1500

PO4-.03<

NO3-.03<-presntly 0.0 ( I love my SWC skimmer, and I feed heavily)

• 2 weeks later...

update #1

So after alot of thought i will not be going full sps but will do some. ty to all that gave me the info i needed on the website and garret in person.

Ok so the tank i drilled two 1" overflows and a 3/4" return and still undecided on the return pump at this time. i have started building a a stand that is turning out very nice and will have pics up soon

Archived