My 90g LED reef: Enjoy and feel free to comment

Eugenereef

Thanks all you guys!! I am really glad to be a member of this community here and I really appriciate the generosity of all you guys.

I think the problem of HA was due to my RO membrane going bad. I did not notice it until it was too late. TDS of 15 coupled with bright LEDs and lots of food in the tank was a perfect condition for algae bloom (but I don’t think it’s the LEDs that led to HA)

The Rock is all out to the tank and is sitting in a 55g barrel in the garage, cooking. I am still working to improve my RO system. The water pressure in my home really sucks, 45 PSI, and leads to a lot of waste water. I just ordered a booster pump to cut the waste water.

Another thing, since most of my corals were glued to the rocks, and these guys really grew very fast, while taking the rock out of the tank I created a lots of frags :) . Once the situation is under control, I’ll have several to trade/sell/donate :)

Big Tank!!! Still thinking about it.

• 3 months later...
An update!

I had a serious hair algae attack in my tank and it was soo much hair algae, it killed many of my corals :(

So the tank was completely dismantled and the rocks are cooking to get rid of HA and anything else that was causing it. I changed water on regular bases ( weekly), no phosphates, no nitrates!!!

This it what it looks now ( you can see pics in previous posts for comparison):

cdd652c6.jpg

e10c5116.jpg

All the rock snow outfit next 6 to 8 weeks!

3b9dae7f.jpg

All corals on the bucket! Piled-up :)

9c25dac1.jpg

f0787f53.jpg

Yeh!! I am back(naughty)

I went from the tank above to what is show here below :)

09d4005b.jpg

d8d6716f.jpg

The colors are back and the corals are looking pretty good.

Thanks guys!

Actually I owe it big time to my wife!! I have been really busy with work and did not even had chance to come to the the site as well!! but I did set it up and she kept up with it :) keeping it clean and keeping all the corals in place. She never threw anything away, dead or alive :). I only did the water changes and made sure if nothing was off! to my surprise, the corals came back roaring!! every little broken bits that were shoved in here and there! everything came back!!! Now I just dont touch anything at all inside the tank. and everything has been on auto pilot. I guess consistancy matters a lot in this hobby. There are things in this tank that are completely intertwined! Oh well, I'll let them decided who lives and who dies!! :D

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I know there are too many for and against thread for LED lighting (laugh). Here are some updates for those who are sitting on the fence for LED lighting (naughty).

Enjoy...

1fbe6b95.jpg

5bb5a9d2.jpg

Some top views...

96344728.jpg

82f69c1d.jpg

7d13b456.jpg

The funny thing is these corals often break and fall off. And then I see a coral growing out of rock from no where (nutty).

cont...

looks great

you edited your message :)

No I don't take it the wrong way. Actually the pictures before were taken with Nikon digital SLR with Macro lens. and these were taken with iPhone camera. I was too lazy to set the tripod on and take pictures!!!

Archived