how far would you travel for a saltwater shop?/what makes a good salt water shop

divinedragon13

im think of slowly building my own saltwater shop there only small pet store in fruitland and there getting ready to open a petco near by. there only two saltwater shop in boise there not that big or have alot to go see im in payette idaho about 50 mile form boise.

so ? are

what makes good saltwater shop?

how far would you travel to go to it?

does it bother you to go into a person house/garge/basement that be turn into a shop?

when i get place i can build a shop at i like build it live a marine zoo lots to go see with the catch that every thing there can be bought.and last thing im going do if i stat make some money at it is breed all fish i can get to breed that way there less impact on are oceans .

ty for any help you all give

In my opinion the basic elements for a good shop are, selection/variety of live and dry goods, good prices, and clean tanks. I don't have any problem driving 50+ miles to go to a good shop, I might not make the trek that often but that just makes the shop that much cooler. Its like a special trip to an amusement park lol.

You should talk with garret if he has time he started in a garage and just open his own shop im new around here but I think what made him successful is his attitude and willingness to help people he has great livestock and if you want something he doesn't have he gets it for you at the same price or better than you can get it elsewhere if I were you id talk to him

I have and still do make 120-200 miles round trip to fish/coral shops. My favorite shop was run out of a garage for a few years!

Things I look for in a fish/coral shop

1 Nice/Personable Staff/Owner

2 Relaxed Atmosphere

3 Knowledgeable Staff/Owner

4 Selection

5 Price

6 Cleanness of shop/tanks

Start small like Garrett did with his garage. Then after a year or two, if you feel like you can make a living off of it with a large client base, THEN start considering your own shop. Garrett's practically a marine biologist, so his expertise is hard-earned. Be careful making big decisions, like starting a business, on a whim.

I do all my reef shopping based on spelling and punctuation....

I do a great deal of my shopping at a shop 70 miles away in spite of living in a fairly good size (for Oregon) urban area. I have done this since Garrett's first garage shop. Garrett has always gone the extra mile and is, truly, a really nice guy.

I have never driven more then a half hour just to go to a shop. If I am in the area, I will stop by one that is farther, but it is never the destination.

If it is farther then that I would rather just order in bulk online, get free shipping and wait for it to be delivered. JMO

I have been to a few "garage shops", but I have never been to the same one twice.

JME

Archived