Dyed Anemones Cont...

Arsonmfg

I don't think for the most part people are saying it's cruel. I think the main argument against dyeing the anemones is it's simply unethical. Hobbyists buy these things because they are bright and colorful not realizing that this color will fade and that the anemone will probably die simply because it's a hard to care for species.

A hypocrite is someone who condemns someone or criticizes someone for doing the same behavior.

For example if I had poodles and I colored them pink and sold them as rare pink poodles for 10 times the amount.

As far as fragging anemones, I have debated this question. We do have some maxi minis that we have fragged. I believe in propogation because the more we can grow and frag, the less that is taken out of the ocean.

At reefsafari' date=' I'm not sayin this is not an addicting hobby at all we all know it is! But to compare it to something that degrades society is a lil redic.[/quote']

I have disagree with this statement. This Hobby has degraded my bank account and has caused my wife to have agression towards me.

If you dont like the pertty nems DONT BUY THEM.

You cant really bring into play what retailers charge, just dont buy it. You would think you would be happy they were asking a high price, then if no one buys it, maybe he wont bring in another. Now what if he put 30$ and started a craze? That would up demand. What of it was tyree limited editon?

If we are switching from talking cruelty to the animal, to ethical discussion, i would have to bring up "designer" zoanthids, chalices, acans etc. Those prices are rediculous and unethical. Its sad that normal bread and butter corals have a set price, and new designer ones come out with "cool new blue spot" and someone attaches their name to it (tyree for ex) and it becomes a contest to see who can bend the other farthest on price

I know me and a couple friends serious in the hobby wont touch those name brand things. Make me.feel like i have feel for it. There are plenty of just as nice of corals for pennies on the dollar. Watching my huge green rimmed watermelon chalice's value go up and down over the last 10 years is like watching the stock market today.

I really agree with mike here, it becomes really silly to look at all these corals that are charged per polyp. I am much more into the big ol' zoa rocks that look stunning and have much more color in certain cases. Zoas grow quick, it is annoying to pay 100 bucks per polyp, and wait one year to see them at 20...

On a side note: I would really like to get some nuclear green paly's(laugh)

Think of all the corals killed by deep sea trolling nets and some a-hole dropping his anchor everyday on the reef to go play scuba steve for a few hours. One swipe of a trolling net probably causes more damage than all the hobby malfunctions and accidents for an entire year. Hobby people only have tiny pieces of the real deal corals that are found in nature. The barrier reef alone is like 130' date='000 sq miles. Odds are ocean temp or current change will kill the reefs before anybody can did up that much coral. And seabae and not a hardy nem. Back to the topic.[/quote']

Didn't know their were a lot of reefs on the bottom of the ocean??? Not saying I defend trolling but you have to be kidding me if your not going to take partial responsibility for the destruction of the worlds reefs.

You cant really bring into play what retailers charge, just dont buy it. You would think you would be happy they were asking a high price, then if no one buys it, maybe he wont bring in another. Now what if he put 30$ and started a craze? That would up demand. What of it was tyree limited editon?

If we are switching from talking cruelty to the animal, to ethical discussion, i would have to bring up "designer" zoanthids, chalices, acans etc. Those prices are rediculous and unethical. Its sad that normal bread and butter corals have a set price, and new designer ones come out with "cool new blue spot" and someone attaches their name to it (tyree for ex) and it becomes a contest to see who can bend the other farthest on price

I know me and a couple friends serious in the hobby wont touch those name brand things. Make me.feel like i have feel for it. There are plenty of just as nice of corals for pennies on the dollar. Watching my huge green rimmed watermelon chalice's value go up and down over the last 10 years is like watching the stock market today.

I don't view the marketing and naming of items as unethical. that's an entirely different discussion. It's simply just marketing. It's not any different than those who choose to buy 100 dollars jeans. I can personally tell you that for the most part they hold their value better and it's easier to resale if it has a certain name to it. You also know what you are getting.

What's unethical is when someone knowingly sells a knock off as the real deal and sells them for the same price. Again the whole 100 dollar a polyp or 500 dollar an eye chalice is an entirely different debate.

I just feel like the "at least you're not doing this" is simply a rationalization and really doesn't provide any benefit to the argument. It's kinda like me saying yeah I speed at times but at least I'm not carrying a concealed weapon.

It's clearly not ethical to be selling dyed corals and not letting the hobbyist know that it is dyed and that the dye will not last. Personally I would love to see this practice go away. Are there other problems and issues that are bad for the hobby and a far bigger issue? Of course

And the person who likened fish stores owners to used car salesman, unfortunately it is true that you have to do your homework. It's just sad that it has to be that way but with more education and forums such as these and more legal implications, getting ripped off would hopefully happen less.

Didn't know their were a lot of reefs on the bottom of the ocean??? Not saying I defend trolling but you have to be kidding me if your not going to take partial responsibility for the destruction of the worlds reefs.

Here is one I think this was even posted on here before. http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2002/aug/09/food.fishing

And not really. The corals in a hobby tank are so tiny compared to whats out in the ocean. Corals are going to be bleached by climate change or salinity change long before people put them all in their tanks. Do I support people just backing up trucks to reefs and tearing them out? No

That is a very cool link, but I fail to see the relevance since we all (to my knowledge) have tropical reef tanks. Sounds to me like your just trying to justify your own actions with false logic.

Here is one I think this was even posted on here before. http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2002/aug/09/food.fishing

And not really. The corals in a hobby tank are so tiny compared to whats out in the ocean. Corals are going to be bleached by climate change or salinity change long before people put them all in their tanks. Do I support people just backing up trucks to reefs and tearing them out? No

so what i am taking back on this whole thread is people shouldnt sell things that are not what they are? if thats it then i am in agreement. as well as people educating themsleves.thanks for the insight on all this. i still kinda want a yellow sebae.JK

so what i am taking back on this whole thread is people shouldnt sell things that are not what they are? if thats it then i am in agreement. as well as people educating themsleves.thanks for the insight on all this. i still kinda want a yellow sebae.JK

LOL yeah I think that's the general point of this thread but it's hard to tell as these things typically stray way off topic.

I can't wait for football season to start.

That is a very cool link' date=' but I fail to see the relevance since we all (to my knowledge) have tropical reef tanks. Sounds to me like your just trying to justify your own actions with false logic.[/quote']

Sorry nhowe, I re read my post and I realize it was way to harsh. I just get frustrated with our hobby sometimes because I feel we are a huge contributor to the destruction of the reefs and yet we act as if we play a small role. So long as we denie our responsibility we can never be a part of the solution. My frustration is with the hobby as a whole, not you personally and I apologize for projecting my frustrations twords you.

Here is a link that relates to fish not coral. I feel this study clearly illustrates the role this hobby plays.

http://www.coralreefnetwork.com/kona/WHAP%202001%20Final%20report.pdf

I don't think for the most part people are saying it's cruel. I think the main argument against dyeing the anemones is it's simply unethical. Hobbyists buy these things because they are bright and colorful not realizing that this color will fade and that the anemone will probably die simply because it's a hard to care for species.

... if I had poodles and I colored them pink and sold them as rare pink poodles for 10 times the amount .

I'm a total noob, but I thinkthis is the real issue, cruel is, as mythbusters says, 'plausible'; (unproven either way), but I think it is sometimes done in deceit, and that's what sucks, IMHO

Archived