essentials for begginers

Dustin

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, after thinking about it. I wouldn't say that a permanent QT is essential. If you've got a spare 10-20 gallon tank and a sponge filter on hand, I think you'd be fine. I've never qt'd fish before and I've never had a sick fish infect any other fish. I feed with Garlic Guard (Another good thing to put on a list of things to get) 2x a day and I feel like that keeps my other fish healthy enough to deal with things like ich.

On that note, the reason I think I can get away with having ich in the tank and not losing tons of fish, is because I don't really have any super sensitive fish. The only fish I've ever had that have gotten/lost from ich were tangs (A Powder Brown, and a KoleDOH!). I've also noticed that when I add new fish, some of my other fish spend a lot of time getting cleaned by my cleaner shrimp.

I could probably find a spare tank and sponge filters are cheap enough as far as time for QT is 3 weeks the minimum or could you get away with a single week also I've heard a lot about dipping corals would I dip and then QT

I'd say QT for a week, unless of course you see a problem. Remember that with ich, you want to QT at least 2 weeks after you see the last signs of it.

I know a lot of people on here (probably most) don't dip they're corals. I try to dip my stuff (Seachem dip) but most of the time I don't. CoralRx is really good but expensive and I don't buy corals that are spendy enough to justify it.

Most people just have power heads and they're tanks do just fine. I'd say down the road if you get the chance, get some sort of controller. A controller will be able to do a wave maker plus all the other cool stuff.

You will find that the QT or not to QT debate is one of the most frequent discussions online. It seems that everyone has a different opinion about it, and there are excellent arguments for both sides.

My only advice on this subject is if you are going to QT, you need to QT everything. It does no good to QT only fish or only corals. Also you need to keep the QT tank running all of the time and try to keep the same parameters as your display. If you only setup QT on as-needed basis you will have constant problems. I have learned these lessons the hard way.

I was considering an apex jr but if I want a screen its like $250 are there any cheaper routes cuz id like one for my LEDs at somepoint

I really like my Reef Keeper Lite and the basic lite is like $100. I have the Lite with the PC 4 and the SL2 and it does everything i need it to on my 90G plus my Frag tank

Also I prefer to run a phosban reactor when i setup a new tank to prevent a huge algae spike.

A pc4 is 4 controlable outlets. An SL2 is a probe module. It has pH, salinity, temp, and 2 switch ports. Typically they come with a SL1 which is the same except the SL1 has ORP instead of salinity. I figured an ORP probe would be useless on my system so I opted for SL2 which is more expensive. Over all, the modules and the probes are cheaper from digital aquatics than from Neptune.

The basic (LV1) set up is the head unit, a pc4 (4 outlets), and a temp probe. If you get it from the Nautilus it would be $99.99 I believe. The LV3 package comes with the head unit, 2 PC4's, a SL1, and a temp probe. I think that runs about $250.

ORP is Oxidation Reduction Potential, you really only need to monitor it if you're using ozone.

Somehow this went way beyond essentials for beginners...controllers?!

I think the conversation has headed this way because he asked about wavemakers. Wouldn't you agree that timers for your lights, and a good reliable heater are essential? And since a controller has all of that, I figured I'd mention it.

Well it depends. Heater yes, essential. Timer, acutally no, not estsential. A tank could function fine without one. Convienient yes, same with the wavemaker. I just have a feeling for a beginner, money could be better spent. Get a milwuakee refractometer, some quality test kits. Quality liverock. A good skimmer, quality salt etc.

Milwaukee apparently doesn't make refractometers any more unless I misunderstood garett. I do have a refractometer, and as far as the controller goes I did ask about it. unfortunately I got the 48p dimmable drivers so I could use the basic control rapid LED has. I thought I could step up to a controller later on without issue apparently not, oh well, I guess it doesn't need to be that fancy over a 40b. since salt was mentioned what brand should I stay away from I know everyone uses different stuff but are there any brands that stand out as best or worst?

I understand what you mean by not being "essential" for the life of the tank, and I'm not disagreeing with you. But, I would think that any beginner would eventually buy timers for their lights if they had to be away from their tank for more than a day. I think that since he's going with a DIY LED set up, a timer/programer would be essential. I was just thinking that a controller would be better than one of the PWM controllers that rapidled sells because it does all that an more.

Archived