essentials for begginers

Dustin

hello all Ive been wanting to purchase a lot of things equipment wise and in general and I'm starting to get overwhelmed so i thought i would ask you all what are the essentials when starting a reef tank from equipment to supplements and additives not necessarily the bare essentials because i plan to have a couple tanks but things you believe are must haves for the hobby OK so let the comments begin

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good water is your first priority. RO/DI filter and a tds meter, good salt and a mixing barrel with a pump and heater. Make it easy for you to do waterchanges, your reef will love you. A good sump. Use the canister filter for a carbon reactor once in awhile. A good skimmer. A good light source, fixture or D.I.Y. with good water and good lighting, you will have sucess. These are the basics, the rest is preference.

OK so RO/DI is probably next on the list I'm actually starting a DIY LED and with the help of Upinder will probably have that done in a couple weeks depending on when i get stuff all put together i have tanks set aside for sumps but not sure how to set them up but that will come later i may end up buying a different skimmer maybe as i have a super skimmer and haven't heard great things about them but it may have to get me by for awhile

thanks finch i had planned on getting an ati test kit but i heard bad things recently what would people say is a good test kit also no one is mentioning any supplements or chemicals does this mean i don't need any or is equipment just the better topic?

Additives and supplements will come later, if you choose that route. Once your tank is mature and you are comefortable with sps, you can dose or use a calcium reactor or both. Keep it simple, water changes with good water/salt a good sump and a good protien skimmer. Keep your fish ratio down unless your are going FOWLR and watch your nitrates through a refugium. Don't let the hype of reactors, controllers, chillers, closed loops, coast to coasts, chemicals and concepts get in the way of the basics. Start slow, read and then read some more. Add fish and coral one at a time every few days or week in the beginning, don't overstock or overfeed and do water changes. Oh, and buy all your stuff from Garrett ( harmless plug for a great guy branching out of the garage!).

Sweet thanks guys keep it coming and I do believe I will b making the trip this next weekend to garrets shop opening I like the idea of keeping my money local mainly because I get to speak to an actual person not a big fan of waiting for a shipment either Haha

In my opinion the first thing you should be purchasing is books, books, books. A great book is saltwater for dummies, or pretty much anything written by Anthony calfo, then get some books on the different things you plan on having in your tank. I can tell you this saved me lots of time and money and made the hobby so much more enjoyable! Welcome to the best and worst (addictive) hobby available. Lol :)

I have 40B display tank, soon I will have an LED light fixture, I have a couple dinged and scratched tanks set aside for sumps, I have circulation pumps, I have a skimmer but might replace it, also I have a few parts for an ATO and plan to get the rest pumps, and almost forgot return pumps

I actually have several books already on how to set it up and which fish to buy which corals to buy which fish go best with certain corals etc. They were helpful and will b more so when I get closer to setting up but not very specific on what works best so I ask the veterans so I can learn from your mistakes and successes

• 2 weeks later...

so i believe ive finally got everything pulled together minus sand and rock but i see a lot of different ppl with various reactors my question now is are there any reactors that are a must starting up or is it ok to wait on them

o i forgot i still need to get a couple things but ive got an aqualifter also just recieved my rodi unit (thanks again btw for the headsup on purewaterclub) so im up in the air on how i want to do the ato i will probably for space saving reasons go the aqualifter route with a smaller tank as a resivor but not sure still what about dosers?

I have this ATO kit: http://www.aquahub.com/store/product26.html

Easy to put together and you can buy replacement parts at Radio Shack. I priced it out and it cost about the same to buy the kit as it would to buy the parts locally.

I don't use a doser, but I put kalk in my ato, and manually dose mag every once in a while, and that keeps my levels where I like.

I thought about the kit but I think im going to buy it all separate because there are a couple things I wont need but I plan on buying from aquahub just gonna wait for my next pay check now I just need to find a stand probably build one

Set up a QT Tank and keep all new fish in there no less then 21 days befor putting into your main tank. I got a tang that had Ick and it killed off most of my other fish in a couple weeks.

Also learn the 12 step program

there is a 12 step program to my sickness?

It may go Like this.

#1 We admitt we are powerless over are Reef Systems.

HI my name is Robert AKA ReefSickNess I am a Reefer.(sad)

#2 Come to beleave a power greater then us can restore us to our sanity.

Call the LFS or post on the fourm they will know what to do.(plotting)

#3 Made a decision to turn our life over to the care of the Clown fish, as we under stand him.

Nemo please he me.(drooler)

#4 Make a searching and moral inventory of all my fish and corals.

(What the @$#%)! weres my Dragon Goby? I found him while vac up water he floated out from behind my sump.(sad)

#5 admitted to Nemo, ourselfs, and to the fourm the nature of our wrongs.

Sorry Honey It was my fault and not the dogs.(wife) as for you not saying sorry to any of you. Your all the reef dealers get me into trouble.(laugh)

#6 Were entirely ready to have Nemo to remove all the defects of our Reef system.

30 meetings in 30 days, Ok stop by UpScales today, Play TfT Golf tomorrow, Pick up new Tank Tomorrow. (naughty)

#7 Humbly ask Nemo to watch over our tanks.

as I have to attend meetting every day now.

#8 Made a list of all fish and corals we have harmed.

1. Dragon Goby.Didnt cover top of tank

2. Coral frag cant find since doing Rock Scaping DOH!

#9 Make driect admends to all the frags and fish when ever possible.

Sorry for stressing all you frags since I move you three times a week. I promes to keep my hands out of the tank and only move you once a month.(nutty)

#10 Continued to take inventory of our tanks and admittd it when were missing some thing.

Will start that tomorrow.

#11 Shought throught prayer and reading to improve our reef systems.

Read Fourms more often.(rock2)

#12 Having a sprital awaking as a result of having water on the floor and carry this message to fellow Reefers and to practise these principles in all of out affairs.

You all under stand this were here to help.(naughty)

Archived