Coral Rescue, who likes to do it?

ReefSafari

So I am curious if anyone purposely picks up half dead or dieing corals in hopes to salvage or save the coral? I have seen some threads of before and after of how some people specifically look for "not doing so well corals" to try and save them, and I was curious if anyone here does this? For a long time I of course was always looking for good deals, but passed on so many corals that just looked unhealthy or bleached or dieing, Do you have a particular peice of coral that you tend to baby more than the others, a project recsue coral? I have an open brain coral that was literally on its death bed, that I got for $5 as the shop deamed it a lost cause and would probably die, so I have been babing this thing and I hope to get it to recover fully.

It has really been a new expereince for me, as I always looked for the best for the best price, but specifically getting a coral that really might die, and trying to focus on getting it to live gives you a whole new perspective on Reef Keeping, its challenging. It would be great to start a thread of before and after pics of corals people have salvaged and rescued and have turned them around, its really awesome to see these miracles, to see corals that most would have tossed as they looked DEAD dead, but somehow, someway they miraclously come back to life and to see the end result is often amazing.

So....If you have a rescue coral that your working with post it here, or if you have done this before, or are doing it now, post some before and after pics of your success! The down side is sometimes corals are too far gone and really do end up not making it, but at least you gave it shot right? The way I looked at it is, I have all the time in the world to nurse and baby this peice of coral, ie target feeding, ect..ect...much more so than a larger shop would, so it might have a better chance of surviving in my tank, as obviously it wasn't doing well where it was ya know....

Post pics...I'll try and get a good picture of my current project rescue..But for now a REALLY crappy pic of it, the MH where off...but maybe you can kinda tell how receeded the tissue was, the white is skeleton, I really hope I can get this little dude turned around and healthy again...I think it would be beautiful to see in full glory.

Photo0418.jpg

Cleaning tanks after SeaMAX I found a 2" frag of Birdsnest, some 3/4 dead type of acro (now completely dead), and an orange yuma. I didn't pay for them, but I took them home anyways because I wasn't going to throw them away.

I've also got a half dead favia colony in my tank that I got from the DT from The Nautilus. I'm not sure if it's growing, but it doesn't look like it's receding anymore.

Awesome! Some you win and some you loose, but to me its such an awesome thing to take a half dead or dieing coral and bring it back, best of luck with your projects...Make sure you take some pics now, so when and if you do bring them back you can do a before and after pics of your success! Post em here too!! Best of luck!

I do the same while I try and dial my tank in. Figure if I kill something that is mostly dead already I wont feel so bad. Plus so far they have all survived and are coloring up so its a win win. Got a rather cool bush coral now that I'm trying to rehab.

I do the same while I try and dial my tank in. Figure if I kill something that is mostly dead already I wont feel so bad. Plus so far they have all survived and are coloring up so its a win win. Got a rather cool bush coral now that I'm trying to rehab.

Very Cool! Congrats one your recoveries, best of luck with the Bush coral...

It's a little different' date=' but when I go to Garrett's, I'll have him throw in some of the loose and little things around some of his tanks for $10 or so. I've got a nice Kenya tree and some zoas from it.[/quote']

Awesome! Its amazing what can grow from just a tiny little broken tip of something, Sounds like a great way to get some new additions and watch them grow in to colonies! Thats awesome he does that for you...

Awesome! Its amazing what can grow from just a tiny little broken tip of something' date=' Sounds like a great way to get some new additions and watch them grow in to colonies! Thats awesome he does that for you...[/quote']

He likes to clean up his sand too, so it's win/win.

Awesome! Its amazing what can grow from just a tiny little broken tip of something' date=' Sounds like a great way to get some new additions and watch them grow in to colonies! Thats awesome he does that for you...[/quote']

He likes to clean up his sand too, so it's win/win.

Archived