Muriatic Acid Pump Cleaning?

Algae

I've got some heavy calcium precip build up on the inside pocket of magnet housing of a Mag pump. Soaked it in vinegar for 36 hours undilluted. It removed everything except the precip inside the housing.

I've used muriatic acid to clean organic debris for overflows before but never on pumps. I have heard that the acid can damage o rings and seals and power chords. Thinking about a 1/10 or 1/5 ratio. Also heard not to have any metal contact with acid. Any experience?

I used it to clean some tunzes that I had soaked for a week in vinegar with no results. I used the muriatic and it tried it on 1 of the 4 to see how it woud work, it cleaned it great other than melting the impeller. I removed the impellers on the other 3 and all was good. I soaked them for about an hour.

Not sure of the strength, it came from tru value and it was the only one they carried

IME straight muriatic acid would melt the old tunze blade portions of the impeller, I think they were made of graphite? The new blue impellers are much more tolerant of straight muriatic. I don't generally soak my parts for more than a minute or two, the straight muriatic is EXTREMELY efficient in removing calcium deposits and only takes a minute or two, then a scrub, then a minute or two to get what is left.

IME straight muriatic acid would melt the old tunze blade portions of the impeller' date=' I think they were made of graphite? The new blue impellers are much more tolerant of straight muriatic. I don't generally soak my parts for more than a minute or two, the straight muriatic is EXTREMELY efficient in removing calcium deposits and only takes a minute or two, then a scrub, then a minute or two to get what is left.[/quote']

It was the old version (model 6100), that makes sense as it looked like graphite as to plastic, at least the sparkly grime that was left where the impeller was-

It was just the impeller Dennis, everything else was good.

That new product Magic-Kleen (by Hydor) is like 95% Phosporic acid (powder), it's supposed to work well. I have a few samples but haven't tried it yet. Might be somthing a person could get cheap (in bulk) and would work well in the right ratio. (1/2 cup per gal or so) Muratic is just HCL and water usally 25% FWIW, duiluted further I don't see why it wouldn't work. But I wouldn't leave it in to long.

Archived