Fish Kill OMG ICK has killed my fish ( HELP)

Reefsickness

Well I came home yeasterday from work to two fish dead wife pulled them out.

Today another two fish dead , been treating for ick with garlic since I have corals in the tank 7 fish left out of 10 and dont have a hosptial tank set up.DOH!

That's the problem with setting up new tanks corals are doing fine , question will ick affect an urchins that im planing on picking up tommorow?

Losses so far, :( Yellow eyed tang, Coral beauty, Dragon goby, and I cant find my cleaner srimp thank the nig Trigger got him.)

I am Sad, and my wife is pissed since that 125.00 worth of fish (quote I could of got a pair of shoes that would of lasted longer then them, and went to dinner).

Tank readings are as follows;

Ca, 640

KH, 8 dkh

Po3/4, 2.0

No3, 20 ( little high)

NH3/NH4, 0.50

NO2, 0

PH 7.8

Tank is 8 weeks old today, started tank with 70 lbs live rock with corline and 50 lbs base rock dead and 40 lbs of live sand.

went through the broun alg phase and i am into the green stage lawn mower bleeny is keeping it in check.

Have 2 leather corals , mushroom is happy and is fully open, have 2 kena tree type a small and large the small is fully open the large will not fully open been in tank 1 week,

have 3 star palops there fully open after 4 days old and after being fraged from a large piece. 1 large rock covered with mushroom palops fully open they look the best.

What the hell am I doing wrong besides getting to much to fast . lol

Help

Tank readings are as follows;

Ca, 640

KH, 8 dkh

Po3/4, 2.0

No3, 20 ( little high)

NH3/NH4, 0.50

NO2, 0

PH 7.8

What the hell am I doing wrong besides getting to much to fast . lol

Help

Well you pretty much answered your own question by adding too much too fast. But it does look like your PH is on the low side as well as your calcium is extremely high. In theory it should be around 450-550 Ca.

If your inverts are doing ok then you should be ok with the urchin but beware about adding anything else for quite awhile. Don't jump in to replacing your fish right away.

white spots on the fish I lost looks like salt specks all over them, dont know were I picked it up from 1 fish was from upscales in taulatin the other 2 from a shop in hillsbore or could I of picked ot up from the guy i got the rock and sand from there was no fish in his tank and said its been running for 3 weeks trying to keep rock alive since taking down 250 gal tank?

I think you definitely need to slow down and not add anymore fish for a long time. I might even suggest removing some of the fish if they didn't have ick. At this point i would wait it out if i were you, make sure to feed the fish well and hope you don't loose too many more fish. You very well may loose more fish, but you run that risk if you setup a QT as well. How many spots do you see? and like Trautman said are you sure it's ick?

P.S. Kent makes a relatively safe buffer you could use to get your ph up. I would you suggest that you stop dosing calcium for a while as well.

P.P.S. What size is your tank?

Just joined confermation 3226-9926-5655-4029 Robert West Ok I am a new member now' date=' I fill like a Noob, lol[/quote']

I just sent you a PM. I agree with Gill it might be too late to take anything out fish wise but if you have some smaller hardy fish maybe get them out and qt them. The trigger would just get stressed out even more in this small of a tank unless it's a little tiny one.

I think you definitely need to slow down and not add anymore fish for a long time. I might even suggest removing some of the fish if they didn't have ick. At this point i would wait it out if i were you, make sure to feed the fish well and hope you don't loose too many more fish. You very well may loose more fish, but you run that risk if you setup a QT as well. How many spots do you see? and like Trautman said are you sure it's ick?

P.S. Kent makes a relatively safe buffer you could use to get your ph up. I would you suggest that you stop dosing calcium for a while as well.

P.P.S. What size is your tank?

I Havent been adding any calcium that the reading from having to use city water (wallemette water) and kent salt, the last water change was 3 days ago and i went down to upscales and got 18 gal of the water .

I have reef buffer from seachem raises ph to 8.3 ill add some of that

(whistle)

Tank Specs:

75 gal Plex

(2) 175w MH 20K

20 gal sump w/ 5 lbs live rubble

150 gal Skimmer

mag 250 can filter just for polishing

(2) PH Sico 2600

60 Lbs Base rock

48 Lbs of live rock and 30 lbs of live sand out of a 6 yr old reef system.

This sounds like a really nice setup. :) we love pics... (whistle)

Ive been doing 20 gal water changes every 5 days or sooner if my nitrate or ammo is up I havent used any supplements since Tom at upscales told me not to since the Ca is high and the corals will remove it I have been useing a Phos remover as a medium do to high phos counts.

here is a list of my water readings for the last month.

Date ,CA ,KH ,PO3/4 ,NO3 ,NH3/NH4 ,NO2 ,PH

6/18 ,620 ,12 ,0.25 ,0

6/20 ,600 ,10 ,5.0 ,10 (20 gal H2O change)

6/20 ,2.0

6/22 ,440 ,8 ,2.0 ,0

6/23 ,540 ,9 ,2.0 ,0 ,1.0 ,0 ,7.8

6/25 ,500 ,9 ,2.0 ,0 ,0.25 ,0 ,7.8

6/25 (15 gal water change)

6/28 ,540 ,10 ,2.0 ,0 ,2.0 ,0 ,7.8

7/4 ,560 ,9 , 2.0 ,10 ,0.50 ,0 ,7.8

7/4 ( 30 gal water change)

7/7 ,600 ,7 ,0.5 , 0 ,0.25 ,0 ,7.8

7/10 (18 gal water change useing LFS water)

7/10 ,520 ,8 ,1.0 ,0 ,0.50 ,0 ,7.8

7/13 ( fresh water dip for tang white spots all over him 1 min dip)

7/14 ( Tang and dragon Fish Dead)

7/15 (Coral Beauty Dead Cleaner srimp missing, Clone fish has white coating all over them)

Clown fish are active acting healty, 3 damsle and trigger and lawn mower look fine no spots

7/15 ,640 ,8 ,2.0 ,20 ,0.50 ,0 ,7.8

7/16 will do a major water change in morrning 30 Gal.

Just a question. Did you adjust the ph of the freshwater before giving the tang his dip? If you freshwater dip anything else make sure you adjust the ph if you didn't last time. Not adjusting the ph can really shock a fish. Best of luck with the ick. Also switching over completely to ro/di water will help a lot with keeping your water parameters ok. Just do it slowly when you do water changes. Corals and fish seem to like the ro/di better than tap water.

One of the important things to remember when adding fish to the tank is that every fish, regardless of size, changes the balance and the bioload and you need to give the system time to stabilize. When it reaches equilibrium, there is enough waste to feed the existing bacteria, if you add more waste, the bacteria colony needs to grow to accommodate the increase and this takes time. If you add just a small increase to the bioload the system and the livestock can cope with the small changes in balance. If you increase the bioload dramatically, by adding lots of fish in a short time, before there are enough bacteria to cope with it the existing fish and corals have to cope with the elevation in Nitrates, Nitrites, Ammonia etc....Even if the toxins don't kill them it lessens their immunity and they are unable to fight off things like ick or bacterial infections.

One of the important things to remember when adding fish to the tank is that every fish' date=' regardless of size, changes the balance and the bioload and you need to give the system time to stabilize. When it reaches equilibrium, there is enough waste to feed the existing bacteria, if you add more waste, the bacteria colony needs to grow to accommodate the increase and this takes time. If you add just a small increase to the bioload the system and the livestock can cope with the small changes in balance. If you increase the bioload dramatically, by adding lots of fish in a short time, before there are enough bacteria to cope with it the existing fish and corals have to cope with the elevation in Nitrates, Nitrites, Ammonia etc....Even if the toxins don't kill them it lessens their immunity and they are unable to fight off things like ick or bacterial infections.[/quote']

+1 from ninkylou!

after two hours of reading and watching yet another fish die it looks like Marine Velvet has got into my system.

Now i will be setting up a quarantine tank , No new fish will enter my tank with out being quarantine no less then 21 days and treated with copper.

This is a exspensive lesson :( but I will correct the problem and learn from this.

Reefsickness

As suggested, you added too much livestock in a short timeframe.

For a tank that size and equipment, I do not suggest to stock more than one small tang and a couple of non agressive small fishes.

Otherwise you will be dealing with similar issues every once in a while.

Archived