askoll or bubble blaster?

Ron Popeil

Askoll....I recently went back n forth, back n forth on this verry issue. What I found out is that these two pumps the BB HY-5000 and the Asholl 1500 are verry similar in almost every single way. The reasons I ended up going with the Askoll was 1) The BB's are LOUD. The intakes on these pumps are loud and there isn't much you can do without restricting the large volume of intake air, which is the main reason for choosing one of these pumps. 2) After reading 100's of reviews and posts about the Askolls ( Which what we're really talking about is the pump block as several companies make custom volutes with different flow characteristics: Bubble King/ SWC/ect. I couldn't find even one bad thing anyone had to say about these pumps. I talked to SWC and they said they haven't had a single Askoll 1500 returned for defect/not working EVER. That to me means somthing being that these have been around for awhile. So what it really comes down to IMO is which Skimmer manufacturer you like best. The Octo XP-5000's are pretty enticing, and I almost bought one. But I had a chance to grab a slightly used SWC 250a and after comparing performance/value between the two chose the SWC. It was by no means an easy choice as I didn't want to have to buy another skimmer ever. After getting the 10" skimmer home I realized that I had made the best desicion so far in my reefing "carreer". These pumps flow an enormous amount of water and air and are DEAD silent. If it came down to strictly pump vs pump though the Askoll wins hands down. It has a proven track record and is IMO one of if not the best pump block out there.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of them... I have the bb on my super octopus xp5000 and you definitely can hear it because it is external, but it is in my garage below the tank so no worries here. I have been to Dan's house where he is running the askoll and I can attest to the silence of this pump!

• 2 weeks later...

after talking directly with coralvue, i decided to go with the bubble blaster pump. they use both pumps on their skimmers and apparently the bubble blaster is definitely the better product when it comes to performance, materials used, design and usage. thanks for the input everyone, im hoping to have my new skimmer next week!

Well did you think Coralvue was going to say "O the Askoll is so much better than our new pump" Good Luck' date=' let us know how you like it, and how it performs for you.[/quote']

So Coralvue is just a bunch of liars?? Funny Harold, funny......

during my discussions with coralvue, i was told this which helped guide my decision:

"honestly the only reason the Askoll is favored or perceived as a better pump is because the same motor is used on the Bubble King skimmers which people believe is the best skimmers on the market due to their ridiculous pricing....the Bubble Blaster outperforms the Askoll pump in every aspect of operation. They pull more air and draw less current. I can also give you a 3 year warranty on the Bubble Blaster compared to only 2 years on the Askoll motor. Honestly the Askoll motor is not designed to be used as a skimmer pump. It is a pump pump that we purchase from Hagen under the Laguna pump series and strip the pump apart to get to the motor block. At that point we have to machine a volute venturi and pin wheel impeller which is very expensive to do and the pumps are not designed to run externally so we have to drill into the motor housing and create a cooling loop. This all voids the warranty from Hagen but we still stand behind the pump which I really do not like having to do. The Bubble Blaster pumps were designed from day one as a skimmer pump only. That is the reason we are able to get the massive air volume and low wattage motors to run so efficiently. All of the parts and materials for the BB pumps are imported from Japan, Germany and the U.S into China to make the BB pumps. We just assemble the pumps in China but the quality of these pumps is very good which is the only reason we can give a 3 year warranty."