Buying Rock Online

LC Scott

I'm going to buy some rock online in the next two weeks. Right now I'm trying to decide on where, Reef Cleaners, or BRS. I was hoping to hit the BRS buy but my time line just won't work except for the smallest margin.

I'm looking to get 40 to 60 pounds and 10 lb of live stuff locally.

So my question. Any pros, cons with that idea?

I feel like I just opened a can of worms. :D

I have heard good things about BRS Rock, and Reef Cleaners is a Sponsor on here...so I don't think you can go wrong with either one, I guess it comes down to price, I think Reef Cleaners offers free shipping on smaller amounts, but I am not sure. All I know is cycle or cure the rock when you get it, don't do what I did and just put it in your tank with some cured live rock, you might have issues. Some places claim they "pre-cure" thier rock, but If I had to do it all over again, I would cycle it in a tub for a few months prior to putting it in the tank with already cured live rock.

I got mine from MarcoRocks, I think most of it is pretty much the same kind of rock, so I would go by price and who offers free shipping, as that can be kinda spendy.

Edit....ReefCleaners offers free shipping for orders over 30 lbs....Where BRS you have to spend $175 (about 70 lbs of the Dry Fiji) to get free shipping and BRS is currently out of stock of thier regular rock....So I would go with ReefCleaners if you are wanting to get it now...

I bought all of my new rock from BRS and am very happy with it! I cured it and seeded it for a copule of months while I did the tank build' date=' so it was ready when the tank went up![/quote']

If you haven't already you should check out Beth and kims build thread for the new sps tank. The rock is sooooo nice and she has really good picks of it on there.

be careful when you get it at the LFS' date=' I have noticed a lot of little free anemones on "some peoples" rock, not going to mention names... Just be careful, from what I hear aptasia is no fun to get rid of.[/quote']

You can have hitch hikers from any shop in town as well as purchasing it online. The only way to ensure it doesn't happen is to get dry rock and cure it yourself. I've bought some Rosecity and been very happy with it. Lots of good hitch hikers on the rock. Not sure what shop your talking about but it wasn't rose city.

The nice thing about the dry rock is there are no hitchhikers. It is also very cheap. We only paid 2 dollars a pound and got free shipping and that's dry weight. Smann used it in his new build too. We bought the Pukani type. We added some live rock to seed it and had it going in a tub for like 2 months which worked well.

Ordered from Marcorock twice, about 200lbs of the stuff for various things. If you get there free shipping deals, you cant beat it. Its pretty amazing rock, but does need some time curing. Mine colored up nicely after a few months, but i did fight some hair algae issues for a bit.

Ordered from Marcorock twice' date=' about 200lbs of the stuff for various things. If you get there free shipping deals, you cant beat it. [b']Its pretty amazing rock, but does need some time curing. Mine colored up nicely after a few months, but i did fight some hair algae issues for a bit[/b].

WORD!!!!!!+1

Part of the reason I'm thinking of ordering dry stuff online is to avoid that pest anemone. I've got it in my 20l right now.(flame) It's kept me from putting more rock in my tank, the rock I do have will not be going anywhere near the new tank till I'm sure it's pest free.

I wasn't going to ask one of our LFS to match online prices for me,I don't want them to lose money on the deal just for me. How I'll think about it. (scratch)

call up Nick at RoseCity' date=' gimme a couple days n i might have another contact for you that i can guarantee will take care of you.[/quote']

Mick , no rush I won't be doing this till the 12th at least. so I have plenty of time to find a good deal. :D

call up Nick at RoseCity' date=' gimme a couple days n i might have another contact for you that i can guarantee will take care of you.[/quote']

I got some dry Hawaiian rock if you are interested. (legally collected) I sent some to Mick not to long ago, you can ask him about it.

Kevin

Buying live rock is a lot like buying coral. Some people collect expensive and colorful corals. Other enjoy just having some ocean life in their aquarium. Brown or not.

Peoples taste in rock is very subjective. Some like to carefully pick each piece in order to get the best shape and a good amount of life to make a beautiful and well aquascaped aquarium. In this case, carefully selecting each piece of rock from your favorite reef shop is the best way to go. Others don't care as much about finding just the right piece. Or if it has any life on it and would rather just save a buck so the online purchase works out great.

To each their own.....