Quarantine ?'s

eviljunglenoodle

For corals are most people putting them in a quarantine, or dipping, or just dropping them in the display tank and crossing fingers? :D

For a quarantine setup for smaller fish and corals would a 15 gal or so suffice with a power filter? Is the best method to drop the power filter sponge in my display sump in between uses to populate with bacteria, then when I buy something just drop the sponge in and fill with DT water?

Most everyone I know does not quarantine their corals. Some of us dip them. I usually dip with revive or coral rx but that won't kill any eggs. Quarantining is a good idea for both fish and corals but I'm just impatient. I know for sure Miles (Impur) quarantines for a long period of time.

I was told for redbugs you need to use praziquantel (active ingredient in the heartworm medicine Interceptor) Doug.

That is true Kim. Interceptor does work but I am not willing to take a chance of nuking my entire tank. I like my inverts and pods....lol... I have had pretty good luck with revive, knock on wood. :)

That is true Kim. Interceptor does work but I am not willing to take a chance of nuking my entire tank. I like my inverts and pods....lol... I have had pretty good luck with revive' date=' knock on wood. :)[/quote']

I just know some people actually will dip with Interceptor before putting new sps in the tank.

I just know some people actually will dip with Interceptor before putting new sps in the tank.

+1 on the Interceptor dip-My dogs Oncologists (thats a pricy word-LOL) gave me the hook up on the tabs

Link for interceptor dip

http://www.melevsreef.com/redbugs.html

I agree with ya Doug, I nuked my tank because of RB and wish I never did, especially since they are not a threat to anything-just a irritant.

I dip all my corals, especially zoas, once you get zoa eating nudis you'll understand.

With all the sales and trades that take place here this is haven for sharing bugs.

And that goes for stores as well, remember they take trades from us

RTB's=Reef Transmitted Bugs-(laugh)

+1 on the Interceptor dip-My dogs Oncologists (thats a pricy word-LOL) gave me the hook up on the tabs

Link for interceptor dip

http://www.melevsreef.com/redbugs.html

I agree with ya Doug, I nuked my tank because of RB and wish I never did, especially since they are not a threat to anything-just a irritant.

I dip all my corals, especially zoas, once you get zoa eating nudis you'll understand.

With all the sales and trades that take place here this is haven for sharing bugs.

And that goes for stores as well, remember they take trades from us

RTB's=Reef Transmitted Bugs-(laugh)

LOL I was joking with another member about what a sensitive situation RTBS as you say can be. It's almost like dealing with STDs. The conversation goes like this:

Wow I have redbugs now and that's right after I bought that acro from blank. Should I tell blank he gave me an RTB? He may not know he has RTBs. Should I tell others to be careful of blank because he may have an RTB? (laugh)

LOL I was joking with another member about what a sensitive situation RTBS as you say can be. It's almost like dealing with STDs. The conversation goes like this:

Wow I have redbugs now and that's right after I bought that acro from blank. Should I tell blank he gave me an RTB? He may not know he has RTBs. Should I tell others to be careful of blank because he may have an RTB? (laugh)

LOL (laugh) *eyes the room for RTB carriers*

I dip coral and inspect close. I do not and never will quarantine fish. I observe a lot before I buy and after that if the fish is not strong enough to make it in my show tank it is not a fish I want. Sounds kinda mean but the weak die and the strong live long and make great additions to the tank.

I nuked my tank because of RB and wish I never did

Really?! I have treated my tank twice now over the last few years and everything came thru with flying colors, even my cleaner shrimp and harlequin survived the treatments. I know some of the stores treat once yearly just to make sure they are clean. They are just an irritant, but they eventually stress the corals and they really lose color. Out of all of the reef pests IMO red bugs are the absolute easiest to treat for (as long as you can get ahold of interceptor)

Really?! I have treated my tank twice now over the last few years and everything came thru with flying colors' date=' even my cleaner shrimp and harlequin survived the treatments. I know some of the stores treat once yearly just to make sure they are clean. They are just an irritant, but they eventually stress the corals and they really lose color. Out of all of the reef pests IMO red bugs are the absolute easiest to treat for (as long as you can get ahold of interceptor)[/quote']

I did not loose my 2 fire shrimp and most of the hermits(the ones I coulod not catch or see) seemed to live, it was all the pods that died, I really think it had a neg. impact on the tank. I did not loose a single SPS nor other corals for that matter, I just know my tank and things were just "not right"

I am really looking forward to the move into the 150 so I can interceptor dip all my SPS-and then dip again for good measure before going into the larger tank-

Its a dip bender

I have ich on my blue tang and it won't go away :-(. I really wish I had used a QT tank' date=' but then again were would I have put it LOL.[/quote']

Not sure about Blues but I know my Purple would break out in ick-It was stress related. I was told and read that they carry it all the time (dormant) and stress will cause an outbreak, as well as other things.

My Purple Tang I watched for weeks at the LFS and all was good, it got bagged and when I got home and put it in the tank-it had developed ick in the short time it was in the bag-30 mins maybe (pretty sure its spelled differently)

i have a 50 gallon tank running at 1.009 salinity 24/7 in my garage, i havent really used it yet, but i am intending to do so. from what i hear, it isnt necessary or even practical, but it cannot hurt, and i lost most of my fish to ich and bacteria a few months ago, so i am doing it to take an extra measure.