Melanarus Wrasse

XrayGuy

So I just got this new fish today and it was very active all day right from the minute I put it in the tank and it even ate some frozen mysis shrimp. A little while before lights out, I noticed it was missing. I know that wrasses can jump, so I looked all around the tank but no fish. I also know they can bury themselves in the sand and so I was just going to assume that is where it went, but now I have proof! I was looking at my tank from under it in my stand and I can actually see part of the silly fish pushed up against the glass lol. I hope it doesn't stay in hiding for too long.

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

IMG_1351.jpg

We might get another one, but the gf has fallen in love with the radiant wrasse, it's like the yellow coris, but more than one color LOL

But, I promise ya this, you'll love your melanarus, they're an awesome fish an do a GREAT job of keeping pests to a minimum in your tank, I used to watch ours eat bristle worms all day long.

That is a very nice fish I had one for about 3 days and then it just gone (which that has happen to me 2 times to me now )So no more trying to have that fish but the funny thing is I do really well with fairy wrasse . I just don't get it

I was reading some posts online about these wrasses hiding in the sand and some folks even said that theirs would disappear for weeks at a time. Maybe yours are still in your tank and just hiding for an extended period.

• 4 weeks later...

I have this same melanarus wrasse and I agree that it is an awesome fish! In fact I like it so much that I'm thinking of adding another wrasse to my tank; does anyone know if a melanarus wrasse will get along with another wrasse in the same tank? I have a peaceful and lightly populated 120 gallon tank with lots of rock in it for hiding places. I'm considering adding either a fairy, flasher, or yellow coris wrasse. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm pretty new to the saltwater aquarium hobby, so I appreciate your input.

I have this same melanarus wrasse and I agree that it is an awesome fish! In fact I like it so much that I'm thinking of adding another wrasse to my tank; does anyone know if a melanarus wrasse will get along with another wrasse in the same tank? I have a peaceful and lightly populated 120 gallon tank with lots of rock in it for hiding places. I'm considering adding either a fairy' date=' flasher, or yellow coris wrasse. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm pretty new to the saltwater aquarium hobby, so I appreciate your input.[/quote']

Welcome!!!

My Melanarus is fairly mean to anything I add. I actually bought a male hoping it would get along with my female and he disappeared after a day. Before he disappeared I noticed a spot on his side that looked like something had been picking at his scales. I had seen my female do this to a new Potters Angel I had about a year ago. I was kind of hoping the Angel had a parasite but now I think it was just the wrasse picking on it.

I have this same melanarus wrasse and I agree that it is an awesome fish! In fact I like it so much that I'm thinking of adding another wrasse to my tank; does anyone know if a melanarus wrasse will get along with another wrasse in the same tank? I have a peaceful and lightly populated 120 gallon tank with lots of rock in it for hiding places. I'm considering adding either a fairy' date=' flasher, or yellow coris wrasse. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm pretty new to the saltwater aquarium hobby, so I appreciate your input.[/quote']

Melanarus wrasses get along with other wrasses. They will be mean to any new additions, but after awhile they will stop.

Btw my male melanarus wrasse has a tail spot.

Here is a picture of both a male and female:

p-80626-hoevens-wrasse.jpg