K-2 Viper?

Drew

Here's your light: http://www.reefshops.com/metal-halide-lighting-900mm-mh-900-2x150wt5ho-2x39w-.html 36" 2x150w MH with 2x39wT5HO actinics for 240 bucks.

Good price but looks a little cheapish...anyone seen these in person? I want to make sure to get a system that lasts. I also assume the bulbs in those systems are junk since the system is so cheap... that or not included.... the decription lacks.

Next month I'm making a road trip to visit some stores up around Portland... maybe someone will have something simular.

We ran 2x250 over a 55 flat for coral grow out and it did just that.... corals grew like mad... the lights were about 24" from the surface of the water and the corals were 6" under. Most had fast growth but had very little color. It seemed like the only things that colored up well were the montiporas sitting on the bottom. I agree with everyone saying 250w is too much for a 46. Go with 2x150 (12k-14k) with T5 supplements.

We ran 2x250 over a 55 flat for coral grow out and it did just that.... corals grew like mad... the lights were about 24" from the surface of the water and the corals were 6" under. Most had fast growth but had very little color. It seemed like the only things that colored up well were the montiporas sitting on the bottom. I agree with everyone saying 250w is too much for a 46. Go with 2x150 (12k-14k) with T5 supplements.

Thanks for the info! I think i for sure want MH+T5... just want to find a good quality setup without spending a a ton of cash.

Here's your light: http://www.reefshops.com/metal-halide-lighting-900mm-mh-900-2x150wt5ho-2x39w-.html 36" 2x150w MH with 2x39wT5HO actinics for 240 bucks.

That looks like a good one for you drew. Nice find mick! It has single ended bulbs which allows you to do irridiums. 20k Phoenix is what I would run in it and use the t5's for the actinic blue supplement. Heck, its only $250 too!

That brace is really annoying all the sudden lol. You cant notice it would a T5 HO setup... but the MH you can.

Good news is someone locally might want to trade me tanks (his is 60G corner, mine is 46G bow)... it has no brace. So i might be able to get a single 250w MH!

That brace is really annoying all the sudden lol. You cant notice it would a T5 HO setup... but the MH you can.

Good news is someone locally might want to trade me tanks (his is 60G corner, mine is 46G bow)... it has no brace. So i might be able to get a single 250w MH!

Will the single 250w be sufficient for coral growth and possibly clams?

A 250mh is not too much mick....I've been rockin one for several years.

I agree, I have been running 2-250w MH over my 40b and everything has been fine, suspended about 10-12" above the water, and a fan on one end and my temps stay at 79....granted the reflectors on a Sunpod are not the greatest, but its been working fine for me...I haven't had a problem, also my house is very consistant and doesn't fluxuate that much at all, so that helps.

Before the 40b, I had a single 250w Sunpod over a 40g column, and never had over heating problems with it either, I was suprised what a little fan blowing across the water could do to lowering the temp. It does cause extra evaporation, which means you have to watch the salinity and do more frequent top offs, but thats not a huge deal to me.

Is the stuff on that reefshops.com site legit? Why is everything so cheap? Anybody order from them?

Aren't they overseas? Kinda like the U.S. version of Aquatraders.com, selling cheap knockoffs made in China? I don't know, I think once shipping is added from overseas, it would bump the total price a bit. I have never ordered from them before though, so I don't know.