What kind of Algea? And would a Sea Hare eat it?

ReefSafari

Is this Hair Algea or Briopsis? I am assuming the Marco Rock is probably leaching phosphates, I have a refugium with Cheato and Caulerpa I have been doing water changes and trying to cut back on feedings of the fish, I also have some turbo snails and Astrea snails, but they don't seem to be wacking it back as fast as I would like. My next purchase is going to be a Reactor to run GFO or some kind of phosphate remover....

Other than removing the rock and "cooking" it, does any one have any suggestions on what else to do? I have been doing some reading on Sea Hares and thought about trying that. I don't want it to get any worse than it already is, and it only seems to be on the peices of Marco Rock that I added to the tank, the live rock from the previous tank is fine.

Would a sea hare eat this stuff? If they do, I realize once its eaten it all I would either have to find a new home for it or supliment its feeding with dried seaweed (at least thats what I am reading)

I am curious to know from those that have kept sea hares, did you like them? did they do what you wanted them to do? how fast did they clean up the algea?

P1000561.jpg

i would add a sea Urchin to the tank they are mini lawn mowers lol. they have work great for moe in the pass

+1 on the sea Urchin. Mine that I have now eats everything (all types of algea). And they eat pretty quick.

I have been reading about those too, especially the "Tuxedo" Urchin...is that the kind you had, or was it the long spine one? They seem to bulky like they would have a hard time getting at the hard to reach places like the spot in the picture, becuase they are so round you know. I have never had one, so I have no idea what they are like. I was thinking a Sea Hare could maybe get to the harder to reach spots and in the holes of the Marco Rock....I don't know, Never had a Sea Hare either....lol

Another thing I read about them is they eat Coraline algea too, which I kinda like, especially on the rocks.....does yours eat all your coraline algea?

its really is funny you would think the would have more problems getting to the hard to get spots but they usually get it all. and if they miss some just carefully move them back to where the algae is. i always buy the Tuxedos and nick at rose city has a few nice small ones right know that would work out great for your set up.

They are around. I don't think you have a phosphates problem. I have ph4 at 0 (measuring with colorimeter) and I'm having a little.

They spread frag-to-frag.

Other than general good husbandry, like skimming a lot, carbon and gfo 24/7, water changes, good flow and so on, there are 2 ways that are working well on removing briopsys:

high ph and alk for 3 months (google calfo+briopsys)

high mg for a few weeks (1600+) (google mojo+briopsys)

Both are risky if you are not able to handle it well.

Manual removal only spread them even more.

Hope this helps

I have a Hairy pin cushion urchin and its just a little bigger than a golf ball and doesn't seem to have any problems getting to where the algae is.

its really is funny you would think the would have more problems getting to the hard to get spots but they usually get it all. and if they miss some just carefully move them back to where the algae is. i always buy the Tuxedos and nick at rose city has a few nice small ones right know that would work out great for your set up.

How much where they? and are they pretty hardy?

They are around. I don't think you have a phosphates problem. I have ph4 at 0 (measuring with colorimeter) and I'm having a little.

They spread frag-to-frag.

Other than general good husbandry, like skimming a lot, carbon and gfo 24/7, water changes, good flow and so on, there are 2 ways that are working well on removing briopsys:

high ph and alk for 3 months (google calfo+briopsys)

high mg for a few weeks (1600+) (google mojo+briopsys)

Both are risky if you are not able to handle it well.

Manual removal only spread them even more.

Hope this helps

So you are saying its Briopsys? Thats different than Hair Algea right? It really scares me to jack the PH and Alk up or the Magnesium.....I know I would end up killing everything in the process....I just know I would.

I have a skimmer rated for 100g, I have a Mag 7 as a return and currently just one Vortec MP10 for flow, I will be adding GFO soon, and currently have Carbon just in a mesh bag in the sump, but will be using a reactor for carbon soon. How often do you recomend doing water changes? I am currently doing about 5 gallons a week, should I bump that up to twice a week for a while?

Have you ever had Urchins or Sea Hares? If I try and tackle it from all the "Safe" angles, its got to at least help right? At some point with more frequent water changes, and adding GFO, and possibly a Urchin or two, that has got to make it somewhat better, you think?

I think you are running your tank pretty well.

5g weekly on a 40b is great.

They are not growing just because they do well in good water environment.

If you are lucky if you can find a way to get rid of them naturally (fish or other predators) but your chances are low this way.

Read a lot and decide which way to go.

Looks like briopsys to me.

Test N.1: take it off the water. If it closes a lot and became more dark green it should be briopsys.

Test N2: under the microscope it shows being a one single multinucleate cell

As for air algae, there are many species commonly called with this name

Definitely bryopsis. An urchin probably won't eat it. I would turn off all your pumps and powerheads and get the rocks out of there and cook them. If you raise your Mag level, do it slowly and monitor it religiously. I have seen the African blue spot sea hares eat it and Kole tangs, but the best way to get rid of it is to get the rocks out and cook and scrub them.

Looks like briopsys to me.

Test N.1: take it off the water. If it closes a lot and became more dark green it should be briopsys.

Test N2: under the microscope it shows being a one single multinucleate cell

As for air algae, there are many species commonly called with this name

Thanks, I wish I had a microscope.....lol

Definitely bryopsis. An urchin probably won't eat it. I would turn off all your pumps and powerheads and get the rocks out of there and cook them. If you raise your Mag level' date=' do it slowly and monitor it religiously. I have seen the African blue spot sea hares eat it and Kole tangs, but the best way to get rid of it is to get the rocks out and cook and scrub them.[/quote']

Bummer, I am guessing if I don't tear it all down and do that its only going to get worse, right? I really don't want to do the high magnesium route, I might look into the Blue Spot Sea Hare, I really hate to have to tear all the marco rock out, but I might have too, bummer.

I did find some that are suppose to eat Briopsys....Very Pretty too....

http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=2&pid=1213&cid=83

Does anyone know if any of the local shops have Lettuce Slugs or Sea Hares? I thought I saw Sea Hares at Upscales....Would love to get a Lettuce Sea Slug and see what it does...