Leveling tank stand

impur

I'm putting up my acrylic 60gal cube using the stand i built. I'm not a carpenter by any means, and the stand kind of rocks on my tile floor slightly. I'm leery of using shims because i don't want to create a load point on the tiles which may cause them to crack. Whats the best way to get the stand level? Styro? Foam? Piece of carpet? Or do i just us several shims to spread the weight along them?

The tank will sit on a 1/2" piece of foam as well.

Here is a picture of the stand, there aren't really any feet to grind or file.

Roy wouldn't rubber feet create a load point also? I guess i could use a bunch of them....hmmmm

I'm confident in the tile floor. It is level and i did install 1/2" concrete backerboard on my subfloor. The house is only 4 years old so the subfloor is still in perfect condition.

It has a top and bottom on it now of course.

fatt9030.jpg

010.jpg

Maybe use a combination of window insulating foam strips on the bottom of the stand and then put the entire stand on a rubber mat.

Look in to Harbor Frieght for those mats that can be connected together. They are used alot behind counters for people that stand all day long and it reduces stain/stress. I believe they can be cut easily too.

I do! Nice and powerful. I let my daughter ride on it.

Cool! Maybe she can cruise on down to my place on it for me to borrow if need be?? (naughty)

is the top off level as well? it could just be that the boards warped some while curing and in that case it should regain its level when it has some weight put on it' date=' like 60 gallons of water.[/quote']

Yes the top is level and you might be onto something. The 2x4s were a bit wet when i got them and i'm sure they warped a bit. I could give it a shot and fill the thing up to see exactly how off the stand is. Thanks!

How about either some door jamb shims or if it's really bad a cedar siding shingle placed under until it levels off then mark it & cut it off.

I have some shims i could use. Its not bad but i'd rather do it right the first time. I suppose several shims in the areas needed would help spread the weight as well.

Still rocks pretty good' date=' i think the cross brace on the bottom must stick out a bit. It seems to rock back and forth on it. So i'm gonna try to borrow a belt sander and sand it down flat n level.[/quote']

Sounds like an easy enough fix. Just a little time consuming. Glad it wasn't something worse.

Went to work sanding down the bottom with Franklins belt sander (thanks Franklin!) Got it totally flat and brought it back in. Looks like my tiles are not a uniform depth, some are 1/32"-1/16" or so off which is causing some of the rocking. I hit up Harbor Freight for that foam matting they sell but they are out until tuesday, so i hope to pick that up tuesday after work and give it a shot. If the stand sits on it without rocking and is level i'll be moving forward to the plumbing on wednesday :D