HELP BARELYCUDA!!!

rubberduck9

So I came home from lunch today and my beautiful Claki's from Fiji left me a small present! They layed some eggs as you can see in the picture. Super bright red blob. I am going to set up a 10 gal breeder tomorrow that I have had in storage for awhile. I need all the advice you can give me. Do I need to remove the parents and place them in there with the eggs or can I just puth the rock in there with the eggs on it? I have a little air pump and some air stones to move the water alittle. Im going to use 10 gal of my tank water so the params will be fine for now. Water changes? How long until they hatch? What do I feed them? Does anyone have a small hang on filter I could barrow for awhile? Do they need light? Any help would be fantastic. These fish are beautiful and I would love to raise these guys! :)

post-6154-141867785319_thumb.jpg

First of all congratulations !! :) Second of all settle down a little....

Personally you are better leaving the eggs with the parents as long as possible. They can tend to them far better than a person can. It is difficult enough to incubate them for a day or 2 but virtually impossible imo to incubate them full term. These are going to be some work so don't be discouraged if they die. You may want to consider letting the first batch go and get your setup ready but if you think you are up to it you can give it a try. I have a few questions for you.

1. What is your water temp?

2. You had mentioned that you have a 10g tank for them. That will be fine but do you have anything to black it out from the ambient light? Do you have a either a small clamp on light for the 10g or an incandescent hood?

3. Do you have a small heater for the larval tank?

4. Do you have any rotifers?

5 Do you have any rotifer food whether it be live phtyo or a paste?

6. Do you have any way to hatch baby brine shrimp?

I am guessing your tank temperature is approx 77-78 deg so I would estimate the incubation to be 8 days maybe 9. If this is a one time try then you are going to have to deal with at least items 1-6 if you are going to try to raise more than that then you need to invest in Joyce wilkersons book "clownfishes" It is a must have if you are going to try to raise them beyond one clutch.

This is a start for you to think about and let me know.

Dave

Sorry, I kinda feel like the proud parent. My water temp goes from 77.8 at night to 79.8 during the day. I do have a small heater to place in the 10 gal. I can tape small black trash bags around it to block out the ambient light. I have rotofeast and phytofeast but im guessing I need something different. Were can I get live rotifers? Can I raise the baby brine shrimp in the 10gal tank with the eggs? If not I have a tiny sump I can use. Were do I get brine shrimp eggs? I do also have a small clamp on light with a cf bulb I could use. Would this work? I plan on doing this just onece, or maybe everytime they lay eggs? Do I need a sand bed?

Sorry, I kinda feel like the proud parent.

I understand, I did also.

My water temp goes from 77.8 at night to 79.8 during the day.

I would guess that the eggs will probably hatch on day 8.

I do have a small heater to place in the 10 gal. I can tape small black trash bags around it to block out the ambient light.

Good because you will need them. The tank needs to be blacked out on the sides especially for the first few days.

I have rotofeast and phytofeast but im guessing I need something different.

Yes you will need some rotifer food. I use roto grow plus from reed mariculture. I could sell you some since it is quite expensive if you were to buy small qty's.

Were can I get live rotifers?

I can get you a start of rotifers.

Can I raise the baby brine shrimp in the 10gal tank with the eggs?

No you will need a brine shrimp hatcher. The bbs need to be less than 24 hours old when you first start feeding to the larva.

If not I have a tiny sump I can use.

Probably won't work. see above.

Were do I get brine shrimp eggs?

I can probably sell you a little bit. I buy them in the one pound can.

I do also have a small clamp on light with a cf bulb I could use. Would this work?

Yes that should work. You will want a very low wattage at first.

I plan on doing this just onece, or maybe everytime they lay eggs?

Your clarkii's will spawn approx every 2 weeks once they get going. With a few hundred eggs and a 4 month-ish grow out time. So I don't think you will capture every time they spawn :) Trust me you couldn't even give that many away and not to discourage you but they don't sell well.

Do I need a sand bed?

No bare bottom.

If you can get the book I would suggest it right away. It will be a big help.

Dave

Good luck, its hard work but alot of fun. after a few months of trying I gave up for a bit. I could not get my my ducks in row every time. Either I would have to much air, my rotifers would crash, fry would only last a few days, on and on. Its a process. I had a heater die on me and fry my rotifers a couple months back so I gave up a bit. My clowns are still laying religiously so I may try it again when im ready. Dave is a great reference. Also the clownfish book is a must. Very helpful. I was told to let them lay a few batches to get used to it(higher quality eggs Im told).

Congrats, I know its exciting, but take my advice. Slow down and dont make all the mistakes I made. And read up.

I'm still a noob when it comes to breeding but with daves help I've managed to have a successful second batch of my true percs that are now about five months old now and a couple of them at starting to start their second stripes.

My first batch I lost due to removing the eggs too early, and then having to leave on business and wasn't able to attend to the eggs and the few that did hatch.

My best advice is let the first couple clutches of eggs hatch into the tank and get everything in order if your going to do it, as long as nothing major changes in the tank they'll keep laying for you so you've got plenty of time to get prepared and educate yourself as much as possible. I've read in many books that the first couple clutches can be infertile so your better off letting the first couple go. Also this will give you time to know exactly how long it'll take for them to hatch, this way you can mark your calendar and know the exact day you need to pull them from the parents for the evening of hatching. You really want to leave the eggs with the parents as long as you possibly can.

Good luck, read as much as you can and take notes. Making sure you have enough food and the time to feed them multiple times per day is a must. It's not rocket science and it's a really fun learning experience. Just make sure you plan ahead and be prepared, you won't have much if any success if you try to rush it.