cycling tank?

bace

I've got a new 45g tank I'm slowly setting up and was wondering the best way to go about cycling it? My first tank I did with a damsel, the second was just water, sand and rocks from my other one. This tank I don't want to use a damsel so... that's all I really know and would like some advise.

My plan for this tank is an anemone/ clown tank. I'm also curious about what kind of clowns would be good for a 45g and what kinds are okay to keep together this size of tank (or a bunch of the same kind)? Also what kind of anemones go together well? I'm open to any suggestions.

What are the dimensions? Mixing different species of clowns in smaller tanks is usually a recipe for disaster, although some do have success with it. As for the nems, some say it's a bad idea to mix an match in small tanks, some do not, it really depends on what kind you were looking at, what your filtration is going to be like, and the dimensions of the tank.

36x13x20. I know to wait for the nem too thanks I'm planing to take my time with the tank. I figured as much about the clowns but I haven't done any research yet and thought I'd ask and if I were to pick other fish in a nem clown tank what would be some good options?

You know I started reefing (again) and did not know of this site soi I was over at reef sanctuary, they always swore by adding a jumbo shrimp to the tank as to being cruel and inhumane using damsels.

You may want to google that one-I think the shrimp slowly rots and bacteria develop to eat the dying matter-not sure, I have always used damsels, and then caught them and traded them back in.

Good luck!!

Don't get a nem until your tank is about 6 months old.

I agree on waiting for the nem. When I first set up my tank it was the one thing I wanted. Ended up killing 2 of them. I had a rbt and a lta in my 30g and had no problems with the mix of them. But I only had 2 clowns in that tank. In the 90 I have 3 clowns ( all diferent kinds) and 3 different nems.

No need to use fish anymore to cycle a tank some people view this as cruel and outdated.

Adding a dead shrimp is an old school method that does work again there are better ways. The way we have cycled a tank is to use live rock and some good quality live sand and some dry sand. We also have used Microbactor7 which you can get at any LFS. I have also heard there is a new product available but I do not know what the names is.

Ok this may be a recipe for argument but the way I have always cycled

A tank is to find someone with a good stable system and when they do a nice big water change go over and collect the water they are changing out. Start you tank out with this water, some live rock and some live sand plus make up the difference in the water amount with freshly made up salt water and you have a cruelty free pre-cycled tank. Plus your conserving resources. Make sure to check nitrates, trites and such just as if you were cycling a tank but the tank will pretty much be ready to go. Just take it slow with livestock. Pretty much the same as doing a big water change on your own tank. Just make sure you find someone who does a water change of at least 50 percent or better of your tank volume.

Doug

A tank is to find someone with a good stable system and when they do a nice big water change go over and collect the water they are changing out. Start you tank out with this water, some live rock and some live sand plus make up the difference in the water amount with freshly made up salt water and you have a cruelty free pre-cycled tank. Plus your conserving resources. Make sure to check nitrates, trites and such just as if you were cycling a tank but the tank will pretty much be ready to go. Just take it slow with livestock. Pretty much the same as doing a big water change on your own tank. Just make sure you find someone who does a water change of at least 50 percent or better of your tank volume.

Doug

We did this with the 15 gallon biocube. We put clownfish and zoas in immediately and did 50% water changes. We took the water from our established 150 gallon reef and all did well.

I have heard rumor that a certain LFS will actually sell you "live water" for 1 dollar a gallon (whistle)

Doug

Reefit would prob;ly get you enough "live" water when he does his..hit him up. he is a great guy and will help if he can! Robert(rock2)

We did this with the 15 gallon biocube. We put clownfish and zoas in immediately and did 50% water changes. We took the water from our established 150 gallon reef and all did well.

I have heard rumor that a certain LFS will actually sell you "live water" for 1 dollar a gallon (whistle)

Did that with mine. 20 gallons tank water from SWF coral tank, a bag of live sand and about 30 lbs of live, cured rock. I saw a small spike but everything was rock steady in about a month. SLOWLY added a few things over the next 6 months and made sure everything did well between additions but it was all pretty hardy stuff. I think you can take a few 'shortcuts' but nothing beats slow and steady.