Got Skimmate?

Mitchell

I do (rock2) ! My eshopps psk-100h came today. After about a 15 minutes of being set up it started producing a little bit of skimmate. I have no idea how high i should set it, but I included some pics of what I have it set at. Also if anyone has a psk-100h or psk-75h tell me because I have a specific question about it.

2010-12-06_15-23-33_277.jpg

2010-12-06_15-20-54_415.jpg

2010-12-06_15-27-25_375.jpg

+1 leave it alone for a few weeks and then gradually turn the adgjustment tube clockwise to reduce the wet skimming( if desired). when I look directly at mine ' date=' I can barely see the little white dot on the left of the adjustment tube. Everybody's tank will be different.[/quote']

How much sound does yours make mine is making quite a bit of sound.

As a couple of others mentioned it's skimming a bit wet however leave it that way for now. After a few days it will probably slow down (Your getting a lot of foam right now) and you will also likely see the skimmate get a lot darker than it is now.

• Like 1

Clean the nori out of your skimmer and just let it be for a bit. Skimmers are always a little touchy and sometimes just the slightest little adjustment will make them stop foaming. Give it a couple days then adjust until you get the desired level. Also don't turn it up to max because when it does start foaming it will overflow the cup

Doug

Clean the nori out of your skimmer and just let it be for a bit. Skimmers are always a little touchy and sometimes just the slightest little adjustment will make them stop foaming. Give it a couple days then adjust until you get the desired level. Also don't turn it up to max because when it does start foaming it will overflow the cup

Doug

I turned it down to the lowest setting. My parents would kill me if it overflowed, thanks for letting me know. Is it normal for them to skim for a little bit when you first put them in and then stop?

there isnt really a normal. When your skimmer gets broken in and you get used to it you will find out what normal is for your tank. The skimmer in my tank skims no matter what I do to the tank but one of the skimmers at the shop stops skimming if you even put your hands in the water for a second. It will then start skimming again after an hour or so. Let yours sit for a day without doing a thing to your tank and see where you are at. Then adjust accordingly. Just remember after adjusting it will likely look like it is not doing anything for a bit so after adjustment give it a little bit to get back to doing its thing. Just takes some playing with a skimmer, especially a new one, to get it right.

Doug

I turned it down to the lowest setting. My parents would kill me if it overflowed' date=' thanks for letting me know. Is it normal for them to skim for a little bit when you first put them in and then stop?[/quote']

you really should read the directions on your skimmers manual, if you don't have it you should try and find it online through the manufacturer.

You need to basically set your skimmer so the water level is just below the neck or just a tad bit lower than that and then leave it alone, don't mess with it for a good week unless its doing something bad like overflowing, etc. It shouldn't overflow right now unless you have tons and tons of protein in your water, which if you did your tank would be doing horrible. So set it and don't mess with it for awhile, be patient and just watch what it does, you shouldn't be collecting very much in the cup for the first week. But if your constantly turning and adjusting it all the way up and all the way down, you won't figure out where your skimmers sweet spot is. patience is key here.

Ya, the instructions are pretty non existent with the eshopp stuff. Like other's have said, just adjust the foam to the bottom of the neck and let it sizzle. It may do absolutely nothing for a few days but then it will kick in. Just let it be. It really is a pretty good little skimmer.

Dennis