SKIMMER HELP???

pnkrcklives

I just finished the install of a new skimmer. Tested it in the bath tub and fine tuned it(for an hour or so). Put it in the sump. Got it going it was skimming great. Pulling all kinds of dark junk. Now the air line from the inlet line is just pumping water out. No air intake at all. Any ideas?? It is a used ATI bubble master body, eco 630 pump, needle wheel(with mesh mod instructed by LFS to do). 5/16 air inlet line(venturi).

also make sure your sump level isn't to high above the pump. i had to lower my level to get mine to work better.

Dito on that, water level could be to high or to low, shoulda said in the instructions what the optimum level should be, plus try cleaning the air inlet, it will get cloged with salt creep if it has been struggling to get air into it.

if I read it right your skimmer is in 12" of water? That is way too deep. Find a way to prop it up and I think your problems will diminish. Also, to help with the air flow you can take a small drill bit and widen the hole where your airline goes. even a small amount of widening can improve skimmer function.

I just finished building a stand to get the skimmer in 8 inches of water. I already have modified the air in let. Is there such thing ans to big on the air inlet line. I was told to go 3/8" with it. I went with 5/16" cause 3/8 seems to big. That is up from the 1/8" it started with. I will let you know tonight how it goes.

Ok skimmer is now in 8.75 inches of water. Can not go any higher with it or I will not be able to get the cup off of it. I ran the 5/16 line water still squirts out of the line. Neck the air inlet line to 1/4 water squirts farther. Neck down to 1/8 shoot farther yet. This is a neat squirt gun. I will be headed back tomorrow to pick the brain of who I bought it from. Maybe it is now time for the shotgun approach. I do have a new mossberg I would love to shoot...

Think I got it figured it out... The pump has a 90 elbow coming out of it then into the skimmer. I put my air inlet right at the pump(before the elbow). I just plugged that one off. Drilled a new hole as close to the skimmer body as I could in the elbow(after the 90). Now it is pulling air through(1/8 line). And making foam like a mad man that has rabies. I am going to watch it for a while may up the line to 1/4 inch...

so the air dosn't go through the pump then into the skimmer? cut the airline at an angle and then when you push it into the hole put the long side twards the pump. That is if you are going to keep it that way, I would get a pvc fitting that will screw into the sucktion side of the pump then put a cap on it, drill a 3/8 hole in the end of the cap, then drill a hole for the air line in the top of it, that way the air goes through the pump and the impeller will chop up the bubbles really fine.

Holy crap I am an idiot sometimes. Could not figure out how the mesh/needle wheel is helping make bubbles. Specially when the air line is on the out side. I was just kinda copying my other skimmer. Maybe I will do that to both of them and I bet the old skimmer will begin to work better than ever. I did cut the air lines at an angle. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS/GIRLS I OWE YOU FOOD AND DRINKS!!!