dose my clam look healthy?

cschwarz

ya i try not to move it. and there is a flat piece of LR under it.

where is was sitting i think it was getting way to much light because all it did was release slime and barely open. but know its looking a little better. it us to open allot more before i upgraded my lights.

yea most things go into shock with upgraded lighting, its best to acclimate lighting slowly by limiting the amount of time they are exposed and gradually building back up. Now the concern is have you moved it to far down and in a few months will your lights weaken and reduce the par rating. things to consider especially for a light sensitive animal such as a clam.

ya that's true. and everything is still very shook up from my recent heater explosion. but do you think a 250 watt HQI and two 65 watt PC lights are to much for a 40b?

What is your lighting schedule? It will only be too much if your running the MH in excess of about 6 hours.

ya that's true. and everything is still very shook up from my recent heater explosion. but do you think a 250 watt HQI and two 65 watt PC lights are to much for a 40b?

no it should be perfect, it just depends on how high off the water you are. i'm running a 250w single mogul on a 22" reflector over a 40 about 8" off the water.

ya i think i need to go out a buy some good light timers. do you know of any good ones?

Are you already using timers? It's kind of important since the corals and clam alike will be accustomed to getting a certain amount of light each day. This can vary a bit but not a great amount.

As far a brand I don't think it's too important. Mechanical timers are the most reliable. I would look for 2 things. First get timers that have 3 wire plugs rather than 2 wire. Second try to find timers that allow you to set more than one on/off time for more flexibility. I have a couple that have tabs that you either push down to have the timer on or pull up for off. They literally could be turned on and off every 15 minutes. Many of them just have a couple of clips and only work to turn the timer on and off once every 24 hours. Other than these two things just be sure the amperage will be enough for what your running. Divide watts by volts to get amps. Keep in mind that a 250w light may only be 80% efficient and will use more wattage (About 315w at 80% efficiency).

ya i think i need to go out a buy some good light timers. do you know of any good ones?

Don't get a Coralife timer, mine broke in a week and I have heard of other people having problems with theirs also. You can get decent timers at Home Depot. Mechanical timers are probably best if you don't mind the sound they make.

Don't get a Coralife timer' date=' mine broke in a week and I have heard of other people having problems with theirs also......[/quote']

If I recall correctly some of the Coralife timers have ratings that are inadequate for the high wattage demands we place on them.

I use the INTERMATIC HEAVY DUTY TIMER model TN311C and they work great. They have the ground (3rd prong) and come with clips to set it on and off in 30 minute intervals. Also, these are relatively inexpensive online. You can buy one at the LFS, but be prepared to pay an extra $5 or so than online.