I need some help with a car

grassi

Yep, loooks like a 302. (Or at least it's a small block) It looks like it still has the points ignition in it so you should just be able to get stock tune up parts. I can see power steering however I can't tell for certain if it has power brakes or not. (Hard to tell for sure if there is a vacuum booster there or not)

It has the wrong battery in there right now. The one it should have will be the 24F which I mentioned earlier, it will have the positive terminal on the inside which is done for safety. (It's less likely to make contact with the body) The positive cable also appears to be rubbing up against the sheetmetal which could cause a major short. That should be corrected when the right battery is installed though.

The two things that would concern me in the pictures are the alternator which has a lot of corrosion showing and the radiator. Looking down the side I see a lot of pitting that may indicate that the core itself isn't in very good shape. Keeping those two things in mind I probably wouldn't hesitate to attempt to drive it home myself as long as I had another vehicle following. (Provided I didn't find anything serious with a quick inspection) I don't know if I would advise anyone else to do so though. (If the fuel pump failed I could still get it down the road but people would look at it funny with a gas can strapped to the hood)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Alex, here are a couple pics of what your engine could look like.....

4662452605_fbc08493c1_z.jpg

4663044994_d40c9752a0_z.jpg

4662424105_eabcd0c591_z.jpg

The first is from my 1966 Mustang GT Coup and the second and third are from my 67 Fastback. I built both engines myself, so if you need any pointers or help I'll be happy to share. These are basically the same engines as in your Galaxy. It's a lot of fun to build engines and make the engine compartments look nice and clean. As old as these engines are, you are pretty much free to do anything you like without worrying about DEQ. The only limit is how deep is your wallet.

Hey Alex, not sure if you have already come down yet. When you do, let me know if you need some more help. Thats close, and Im always into a car recovery/restoration adventure. (rock2)

Thanks Gabe

Ps, those rics I got from you are doing great!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm in Cave Junction right now and I have a few updates.

The car has belts on the front, not on the rear seats.

The front tires are brand new: they still have the little pins all around.

The rear tires are not bad as wear in the center, but they show signs of being old (those little tears on the shoulder).

The rear need to be changed for sure. As for the front ones what do you suggest?

The car is sitting on a soft ground and all the tires are well inflated, I mean none is flat.

I will do an inventory of what is in the trunk as spare parts and I'll get the battery, distributor cap, plugs and some oil today.

I will play a little bit with the car just for fun, but I'm planning the "rescue" for mid january or so.

Hey Alex, here are a couple pics of what your engine could look like.....

4662452605_fbc08493c1_z.jpg

4663044994_d40c9752a0_z.jpg

4662424105_eabcd0c591_z.jpg

The first is from my 1966 Mustang GT Coup and the second and third are from my 67 Fastback. I built both engines myself, so if you need any pointers or help I'll be happy to share. These are basically the same engines as in your Galaxy. It's a lot of fun to build engines and make the engine compartments look nice and clean. As old as these engines are, you are pretty much free to do anything you like without worrying about DEQ. The only limit is how deep is your wallet.

The car has the same air filter... I have to work on the rest of it lol

Gabe, sure I will. There will be also Newfisher and h2odvl. It is gonna be fun.

Thanks to all of you giving me advices, feels like having a team of experts at my disposal, and makes everything easier

WHOO HOOOO! I would replace rear tires and run the fronts, get them warm and have them balanced to check. Belts in the rear are no problem, several places will sell them new as universal and you might still be able to find a used pair. There used to be a Wrecking yard south of you near Obrien that had alot of used cars/trucks. Sounds fun, if i can talk the wife into taking the coastal route to Sacremento I will cal you. ;)