Is this ich again?

lucid

Just dosed with marine max, i just got a uv sterilizer and was gonna get the tubing for it to work tomorrow, seems confusing as to how to get it to work, i got it used. ANything else i can do? i dosed the food today with garlic as well, and they ate, and have been eating like pigs.

I am sure you will hear some opposing arguements here but what worked best for me was to raise the temp in my tank while running the UV. You want the Ich to mature and go to a free floating state where it can get sucked into UV and "sterilized".....again....just my experiences and what I do when I get ich. Keeping them eating is key to survival.

Ok thanks for the advice. Upon looking at my tank further, i noticed white "spots" on the back wall of my tank and also some critters all over the glass walls, are these guys good? And is any of this relevant to the ich issue, don't know if these things have been here all along, and i am just overlooking.

sounds like you have pods in the tank. This just means that your tank is still cycling more than likely. How long has your tank been setup? What are your current water parameters? Just feed the tang every day some nori sheets and when you feed your frozen food use some sort of "super garlic" on the food. I currently have 2 tangs in my tank and they are doing great. One is a powder blue which always seem to get Ich.

Just my thoughts of course.

Like has been stated multiple times, unless you a, QT your fish for at least 6 weeks, if not a full 8 weeks, and b, leave your tank completely and UTTERLY fishless for said 6-8 weeks, and c, QT every new fish you get for 6-8 weeks, all at hyposalinity, which means keeping them in a tank with a salinity of 1.009, you will continue to get ich whenever you a, add new fish, b, when your fish get stressed out, or c, whenever they feel like it.

Been set up since sept 5 i think is the exact date. Do these pose a threat to anything?

Your tank is new, it's still going through it's initial cycle and set-up.

Dude, seriously, do some serious research, it honestly sounds to me like you jumped into this hobby without doing any reading or researching and are panicking everytime something happens. Stand back, relax, research, read, and be patient.

Been set up since sept 5 i think is the exact date. Do these pose a threat to anything?

No they should be fine. I would suggest slowing down on adding anything to the tank and let it finish the cycle. Just like stated above tangs pretty much always get ich. Even the tang master himself (R#%^it) has issues with Ich. The stress of being added to a new tank is common for them to have Ich as well. Garlic helps build up their immune system and with tangs it's a must.

Like has been stated multiple times' date=' unless you a, QT your fish for at least 6 weeks, if not a full 8 weeks, and b, leave your tank completely and UTTERLY fishless for said 6-8 weeks, and c, QT every new fish you get for 6-8 weeks, all at hyposalinity, which means keeping them in a tank with a salinity of 1.009, you will continue to get ich whenever you a, add new fish, b, when your fish get stressed out, or c, whenever they feel like it.[/quote']

I personally don't see a reason to do a QT tank. Seems like a waste of money to me. If your parameters are good and you pick out a healthy fish let life takes it course. You don't want to have a tang sitting in a 10-20 gallon tank anyways. That's just going to stress it out even more IMO.

But with that being said there are many people that feel the need to use QT tanks. I'm just not one of them.

Once I have the room, I will have a full QT set-up, I just currently don't have the room.

I know several people who run 6' QT tanks, you know the ones I'm talkin bout, the frag tank style tanks LOL, 6x2x1 or whatever, an QT every fish that goes in their system.

Buddy of mines brother has a 10' 800g DT, 2200g total system, an runs 2 QT tanks, his tank's been up for 4 years now, he runs almost 30 tangs, and has never had ich, but, every single fish goes in his QT for 8 weeks of hypo before it ever hits his tank. I think he said he's lost 3 tangs over the years to the QT, but never lost one once it hits his DT, an dude, he's got some gorgeous tangs LOL.

Once I have the room, I will have a full QT set-up, I just currently don't have the room.

I know several people who run 6' QT tanks, you know the ones I'm talkin bout, the frag tank style tanks LOL, 6x2x1 or whatever, an QT every fish that goes in their system.

Buddy of mines brother has a 10' 800g DT, 2200g total system, an runs 2 QT tanks, his tank's been up for 4 years now, he runs almost 30 tangs, and has never had ich, but, every single fish goes in his QT for 8 weeks of hypo before it ever hits his tank. I think he said he's lost 3 tangs over the years to the QT, but never lost one once it hits his DT, an dude, he's got some gorgeous tangs LOL.

It's only money....(whistle)

If we all had a ton of cash we wouldn't be buying stuff off the boards here. Were all in the hobby to keep it going and save some cash. Sure I have 4 tanks but none of them are QT tanks.

And btw so people know I'm not trying to bash Mick. Just looking for more discussion on the topic for lucid.

I personally don't see a reason to do a QT tank. Seems like a waste of money to me. If your parameters are good and you pick out a healthy fish let life takes it course. You don't want to have a tang sitting in a 10-20 gallon tank anyways. That's just going to stress it out even more IMO.

But with that being said there are many people that feel the need to use QT tanks. I'm just not one of them.

honestly I agree.....I have never QT'd a fish before nor really needed a QT tank since my velvet issue. I run UV sterilizer at all times and run a higher than normal temp and just don't see the need for QT. Unless of course there are flatworms or nudi's on a coral I am bringing in....which even in that case I simply toss it in and provide my wrasse with a treat.

When in doubt read Reefit's signature.

ok. yes qt is great. but its too late for you...

i recently had an ich outbreak, and what i found that REALLY HELPED was a fresh water dip.

this is what i did in steps.

1. make a bowl of fresh water, that is dechlorinated, is the equivalent ph of your system and is also the same temp. i just used a large salad bowl ( you can buy buffer from seachem at hollywood aquarium)

2. carefully capture your fish(es) and one at a time place them fully submerged in the bowl of FRESH water. this will kill all parasites on the outside of the fish. leave them in there for AT LEAST 3 minutes. (i did 6 min dips and it went great). NOTE: when you put your fish in it will look dead for the first couple minutes (this is normal) but at 2min-6min all of my fish went from lying on the bottom of the bowl to swimming peacefully.

3. take the fish out of the cowl and put it bak in the aquarium. this should be done at least three days in a row to all the fish that have the external ich present.

i realize this is a mouthful.

gimme a call/pm if you want further details/buffer

971-533-4150

marshall

ok. yes qt is great. but its too late for you...

i recently had an ich outbreak, and what i found that REALLY HELPED was a fresh water dip.

this is what i did in steps.

1. make a bowl of fresh water, that is dechlorinated, is the equivalent ph of your system and is also the same temp. i just used a large salad bowl ( you can buy buffer from seachem at hollywood aquarium)

2. carefully capture your fish(es) and one at a time place them fully submerged in the bowl of FRESH water. this will kill all parasites on the outside of the fish. leave them in there for AT LEAST 3 minutes. (i did 6 min dips and it went great). NOTE: when you put your fish in it will look dead for the first couple minutes (this is normal) but at 2min-6min all of my fish went from lying on the bottom of the bowl to swimming peacefully.

3. take the fish out of the cowl and put it bak in the aquarium. this should be done at least three days in a row to all the fish that have the external ich present.

i realize this is a mouthful.

gimme a call/pm if you want further details/buffer

971-533-4150

marshall

Just so you realize a freshwater dip does not kill Marine Ich parasites enough to rid the fish of the disease. Some MI parasites will and do die in this process but since the parasite is below the skin level of the fish, some are not affected by this process. For a severely infected fish, the FW dip may help enough to give the fish a chance to live.

Hey, don't make me sic Kim on you 2....

If you have the money and the space, a dedicated QT tank is a priority, once we buy a house, by the gods, it can't be too soon before that happens LOL, I will have a full on QT set-up going, but until then, I have to take my chances an hope feeding is enough lol.

Got my UV sterilizer set up in the fuge part of the sump, couldnt find any other spot. Have bio balls and a filter sock finally coming as well. I have been dosing with Marine Max accordingly and the affected fish have all been eating (Gumbo from RoseCity which came from a member on this forum (forgot his name, sorry)) well with added garlic. I have heard people telling me to put them in a QT tank with Malachite Green, and some PVC piping and clay pots for hiding spots for 4 weeks, and have had other people tell me to not do this because it will stress the fish even further and make the ich worse. Any final thoughts?