My new Naso/ Preg clown?

lucid

Just picked up a Naso tang a few days ago from Rose City! He's really fun to watch and has tons of character. Here's a couple pictures of him.

nasocave.th.jpg

nessiez.th.jpg

Also, I have been told that because my clownfish is acting different lately, especially compared to the other clown fish (Not eating as much, and really not moving from her chosen cave which she recently adopted) could suggest that she may be pregnant. Any thoughts on this? And is there anything i should/can prepare for this if it is true. I picked up a clay pot but it is 4" in width which is the smallest i could find, and i cannot fit it anywhere in my tank with the current aquascaping.

pregclown.th.jpg

Prego clowns' date=' that soooo cool. Do you need to do anything special to help the babies survive? Will they get eaten?[/quote']

Yes, on both counts.

If you get a chance to go the meeting at the Clownhouse (Barelycuda) then you can see the whole process from start to end. There is some information that can be found here and elsewhere however none will provide the depth on the subject that Dave (Barelycuda) can.

Size on the clowns, if they're still small, they're still young, I'm not positive, but I believe clowns need at least 2 years before they spawn.

As for the naso, they require at the very minimum a 6' tank, I had a very small one, under 3", in my 40b, an it wasn't near enough room, a 55 like you have isn't any better, not in the case of a naso, you're going to have to get rid of him in 6 months or so, cause he's going to outgrow your tank rather quickly.

I have a small Naso in my 75 and it is doing just fine. I do have to agree to an extent that sooner or later you will need a bigger tank but it should be fine in your tank for at least a year. You will know when the fish isn't good for your tank size anymore just based on it picking at things that it shouldn't be. I thought I was done with tangs once I got rid of my blue hippo and within two months I have a small naso and just picked up one of the powder blues from Rosecity last week.

It's hard to tell from the pictures however those clowns look to be around 3 years old if they are as big as they look to me. (I'm guessing the size based on the plumbing behind them and the coloring) Where did you get them? That may give a better indication of the age. Most of the Clowns sold in the stores are pretty young unless a private party trades or sells them to the store.

I just noticed they were saddle backs. Same ones I have as well. They are definately different manered versus the rest of the clowns I have had. It took mine 3 months to properly host my nem with feeding etc. Sure they would sleep in it every night but they wouldn't give it the food it needed to survive. I'd be willing to think they are not pregnant either since you've only had them in your tank for a month or so.

BTW, You can break the clay pot into a couple of pieces if that would make it fit into the aquascaping better. The reason for the clay pot is not because of it's cave like shape but rather it's because of the smoother surface. If they do spawn and can't find a smooth surface they have been known to use the glass.

I would agree that they probably are not spawning. Not based on size but rather the actions described are not necessarily those of a spawning pair and as Jesse mentioned it also normally takes several months even for a mature pair to do so.

When they prepare to spawn the female will become defensive of the area (May even attack your hands when they get around it) and the male will be busy tidying it up. You will also probably notice an increase in playful nipping between them.