Rose anemone hiding under rock...is this normal?

XrayGuy

Hey so I got my very first anemone (thanks again Shane!) and a few hours after putting it in the tank last night, it crawled to the underside of the rock I had put it on and it is still hanging there upside down in the dark...is this normal for it to do? I fed it some mysis about 30 minutes after putting it in the tank and it liked it just fine. I was thinking that maybe it is still trying to get used to my tank and so it is just hanging out in the dark to destress or something, but I thought maybe someone on here has had some experience with these and can throw in their two cents on it. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_0093.jpg

Nems will move to where ever they feel "comfortable".

When mine used to take a "stroll" I would add a koralia PHto the tank and point it at it, it would return to where it started from.

But the short answer-nothing you can do-they will reside where they like to

Interesting...I knew they moved around a lot but I thought it was to find more/less light...don't they need a lot of light for their nourishment? Maybe when it gets "hungry" it will come back out (scratch) Thanks for the info!

They are funny, in no way am I a expert but do have a few & noticed when mine get ready to split it goes under for about a week or so then reemerges smaller but in multiples. I have noticed if they choose to stay in the dark to long they may be heading for certain doom. I had one in the dark for like 6 months until it finally died. Good Luck,,,,,

It's normal for them to hide onder rocks. Mine is on a big flat rock and if I flip it over within a day it crawls back underneath. During the day (when the lights are on) it stretches around the side of the rock and opens up.

Once they find a spot where they are happy they will normally stay there. In my last tank mine moved around for a few days until it found a spot that it was happy (under a rock) and then stayed there for about a year until I swapped tanks. In the new tank I tried to give it the same conditions and it seems to be happy with them as it's been in one spot now for several weeks.

As far as conditions they will move not only to get the right amount of light but also to find an area that has the right amount of flow.

Be sure any powerheads have screens to keep it from getting sucked into them. I wish I had known this when I got my first one as it cut loose and floated into the powerhead.

For more information on them go to Karen's Rose Anemones

Agree it is normal for them to hide under a rock and not uncommon at all when they have been moved around. They can also do this when they are going to split which also is common during a stressful time like being moved. The one I used to have would do that for weeks and then reeemerge but never did split.

i have had three for about 5 months now. never had them split yet, some like it out in the open, others will hide in the dark and stick their tentacles out during photo period. I target feed about once every 2-3 weeks. When you feed they will close up for a day or two sometimes depending on how much you feed them. Its not a great idea to overfeed a stressed out nem, let it get settled and when it stops moving for a few days, then i would attempt another feeding.

Dude, I'm not sure if he's fixed his sig or not, haven't paid much attention, but it was/is an awesome motto for this hobby...

Be PATIENT, if something isn't doing something, just be patient, there's no need to freak about everything, and this doesn't go for just you, but for everyone. We've got a fairy wrasse, a solarensis to be exact, since the day after we moved our tank to its new stand, he's been in hiding pretty much 24/7, he comes out for 10-15 minutes at a time to eat, maybe once a day. We haven't freaked out yet, he's just pissed at us for movin everything around and will eventually go back to being his normal self LOL.

The biggest key to being successful in this hobby is patience, if you can't be patient, you will never get anywhere in this hobby.

Oh, an the sig in question belongs to CA2OR, aka Eric

Dude, I'm not sure if he's fixed his sig or not, haven't paid much attention, but it was/is an awesome motto for this hobby...

Be PATIENT, if something isn't doing something, just be patient, there's no need to freak about everything, and this doesn't go for just you, but for everyone. We've got a fairy wrasse, a solarensis to be exact, since the day after we moved our tank to its new stand, he's been in hiding pretty much 24/7, he comes out for 10-15 minutes at a time to eat, maybe once a day. We haven't freaked out yet, he's just pissed at us for movin everything around and will eventually go back to being his normal self LOL.

The biggest key to being successful in this hobby is patience, if you can't be patient, you will never get anywhere in this hobby.

Oh, an the sig in question belongs to CA2OR, aka Eric

...I was not aware that I was "freaking out" about anything. I am fully aware that this is a hobby of patience. Thanks for your two cents

Anemones like a hole to put their foot in. When I "plant" them in a hole in the light, they almost never move. They like to be fed, but "safety" in a hole is one of the most important qualities for a BTA.

That is a nice color that you have there. Hopefully it goes well for you. :)

dsoz