Cube tank build

NoobtoSalt

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

need a light?

Jesse, if you want, I just upgraded lights and have a coralife clamp on light I will be selling.

Its a 150 DE MH with a brand new 14K bulb which I never used-170.00 obo

it's this light and I only used in for about 6-8 weeks-its just an offer, I will post it for sale someday soon regardless-LOL

Nice frag tank for sure your getting there but stay away from Roberts if truly every time you visit you add a new tank-DOH!

http://www.marinedepot.com/Coralife_Aqualight_Advanced_Tank_Mount_1_150_W_14_000K_HQI_Double_Ended_Metal_Halide_Pendants-Coralife-ES53601-FILTFIMHPDDE-vi.html

Dang.. Great deal but I think for now I'm going to do t5 lighting. Probably going to be a few weeks before I get this going but who knows.

Thanks for the offer brad.

Jesse, if you want, I just upgraded lights and have a coralife clamp on light I will be selling.

Its a 150 DE MH with a brand new 14K bulb which I never used-170.00 obo

it's this light and I only used in for about 6-8 weeks-its just an offer, I will post it for sale someday soon regardless-LOL

Nice frag tank for sure your getting there but stay away from Roberts if truly every time you visit you add a new tank-DOH!

http://www.marinedepot.com/Coralife_Aqualight_Advanced_Tank_Mount_1_150_W_14_000K_HQI_Double_Ended_Metal_Halide_Pendants-Coralife-ES53601-FILTFIMHPDDE-vi.html

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Dang.. Great deal but I think for now I'm going to do t5 lighting. Probably going to be a few weeks before I get this going but who knows.

Thanks for the offer brad.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

So you want my 4 bulb T5 fxture w/moonlights, individual refectors, and built in timers instead I presume-(laugh)..

I have way to many "spare parts"

(nutty)

No worries man

Alright. Tank has been bought and is sitting in the living room. Now I just need to figure out how I want to setup the tank and weather I want to go with a bare bottom or sand??? I'm also thinking about tying it in with my current system since my skimmer is rated so rediculous and just adding a fuge.

Any suggestions would be great!

very nice man, very nice indeed

Yep, my suggestion is to do just that, tie it into the current system, why try an keep a smaller system stable along with your main system when you can just tie it into the 75g system an increase your water volume, more water means stabler parameters.

For a frag tank , I would go bare bottom. My biocube is barebottom. You can't keep certain fish that like to burrow in the sand like my formosa wrasse but the nice thing is you have more flexibility with flow. Also I have lost frags when they are buried in the sand and have some corals that get irritated with the sand.

If you really feel like you should use sand, you also have options of putting sand in a sump or fuge and keeping your main display clean.

For a frag tank , I would go bare bottom. My biocube is barebottom. You can't keep certain fish that like to burrow in the sand like my formosa wrasse but the nice thing is you have more flexibility with flow. Also I have lost frags when they are buried in the sand and have some corals that get irritated with the sand.

If you really feel like you should use sand, you also have options of putting sand in a sump or fuge and keeping your main display clean.

It's more that I just have a bunch of sand leftover from another tank and figured why not... but I like the idea of the fuge with sand in it and running bare bottom. I think what I will do is just paint the bottom and back of the tank black.

Lighting is going to be difficult though. It's only 20" wide. Even though I wanted to run T5's I may have to get a halide clip light to get this done right.

It's more that I just have a bunch of sand leftover from another tank and figured why not... but I like the idea of the fuge with sand in it and running bare bottom. I think what I will do is just paint the bottom and back of the tank black.

Lighting is going to be difficult though. It's only 20" wide. Even though I wanted to run T5's I may have to get a halide clip light to get this done right.

(whistle)Hmmm, I think I saw one of those lights around here somewhere-(laugh)

If you do the bare bottom, its a good idea to paint the bottom like you mentioned-I did not on my 40b and the light shining through the bottom was creating algae in the tubing and sump etc, so I ended up dumping a bunch of sand in it-which in the long run I think will be better for the tank.

I dont have nor do I plan to add fish-its a frag only tank

If you do the bare bottom, its a good idea to paint the bottom like you mentioned-I did not on my 40b and the light shining through the bottom was creating algae in the tubing and sump etc, so I ended up dumping a bunch of sand in it-which in the long run I think will be better for the tank.

A few fish is good for a frag tank. Fish poop helps feed the corals and certain fish like a sixline wrasse can help keep pests in line. Yeah my biocube is barebottom and is already black so I didn't have the problems that you had Brad.

You did seem to have a good light for this system.

Yeah I recall a light being mentioned the other day....DOH!

You've got PM!

A few fish is good for a frag tank. Fish poop helps feed the corals and certain fish like a sixline wrasse can help keep pests in line. Yeah my biocube is barebottom and is already black so I didn't have the problems that you had Brad.

You did seem to have a good light for this system.

If my plan goes well I want to tie this into my main system. If that happens wouldn't I have enough detrius from the 75 to help with the cycle of the system?

My other question is would it be ok to just add water as if I were doing a larger water change? Or should I keep some of my water for the next few weeks from when I do a change to ensure I don't have a huge cycle in this new tank?

You still may have a bit of a cycle as you are setting up a new system. I didn't have much of a cycle at all when we set up our frag tank. We did pack it full of live rock and used the water from our bigger system to do water changes and there was not much of a cycle at all. We were just putting zoas in the frag tank at that point though.

Kim' date=' as long as they are just adding onto the main system, there shouldnt be any cycle at all, all they're basically doing is a water change without taking water out LOL.[/quote']

Yeah but I typically only do about a 10-15 gallon change once a week. Doing twice that could swing the tank anyways. Plus I would like to do some sort of a fuge since I don't currently have one. I think my tank could benefit from it since I am pretty fish heavy for a 75 gallon reef.