Hermit Crabs In Reef Tank

Mitchell

What's your opinion on having hermit crabs in reef tanks? Some places say they are no risk others say they are. My new tang makes quite a mess with his nori sheets and is pooping more than a cow. I would like to have something that cleans up after him, but I don't want a 25 cent crab eating my $100 dollar coral in the future.

Some hermits are more prone to eat coral flesh than others. All of them are opportunists though and will eat whatever they can get. I.E. It's a risk. It's also a risk putting a tang into a tank with corals also even if it is supposedly reef safe. I.E. In this hobby you can always find the exceptions to the rule.

That said your going to find that most of us have at least a few hermits. I think I have about 6 of them in my tank (about 140 gallons) and they don't touch the corals other than cleaning a bit of algae around them. They do occasionally knock frags off the rocks so I have to check a couple of times a day in case one gets knocked over. (Not a problem since my tank is in the living area) Not nearly as bad as the turbo snails though which I will never again put in my display. (The last couple got banned to the sump)

most the time if a hermit is eating your corals its usually because the coral is already dieing off. I have about 350-400 hermit crabs in 6 tanks and about 5 different species, mostly hawaiian zebra hermits. i don't have any problems with them hurting my corals. I feed heavy and i have a fair amount of fish so it keeps them working and staying out of trouble.

What types are more prone? I like the looks of scarlet hermits' date=' but they are pretty expensive online (for hermits) and I have never seen them in stores.[/quote']

Zebras and blue legs seem to be the best with some red legs being okay. I have a couple of scarlets that have been fine. I've also had a couple of electric blue in the past but they get bigger and can be a bit aggressive. I've seen both blue leg and red leg crabs having battles with each other but they didn't go after any corals.

Do keep in mind that any snails or even other crabs are at risk if they have a shell that may be a similar or slightly larger size than what they have. I.E. They will often attack them to obtain (or sometimes just to test the fit of) a new home. This will occur regardless of what type of hermit it is.

I have had trouble with bigger hermit crabs not so much intentionally eating the corals but just when they get to a certain size knocking over corals, moving corals. I found what I really like now is the little dwarf hermits. As far as hermits going after snails they will do this but sometimes it is to steal the shells. The ones I had the problem with were the Caribbean but they worked well in the FOWLR tank.

Rick is also right about Tangs. Most people have no problem but I just had to remove my 2 hippo tangs that I raised from tiny little babies because they started eating my LPS.

I have yet to actually witness hermits killing a snail. I'm sure they are capable, but i would tend to think the snails die off faster than the hermits can kill them so they just take the empty shells. I personally think snails are way more sensitive to parameter changes and starvation than we think. But most are cheap and they do provide homes for our hermits. ;) I too like the smaller dwarf hermits, they spend more time cleaning the rocks than running around combating for left over scraps of fish food floating on the ground.

I have yet to actually witness hermits killing a snail. I'm sure they are capable' date=' but i would tend to think the snails die off faster than the hermits can kill them so they just take the empty shells. I personally think snails are way more sensitive to parameter changes and starvation than we think. But most are cheap and they do provide homes for our hermits. ;) I too like the smaller dwarf hermits, they spend more time cleaning the rocks than running around combating for left over scraps of fish food floating on the ground.[/quote']

I have seen some of the larger hermits go after a snail that has flipped over. You're right sometimes the snail was already dead. That's why I like Trochus snails because they can flip themselves over.

I have seen some of the larger hermits go after a snail that has flipped over. You're right sometimes the snail was already dead. That's why I like Trochus snails because they can flip themselves over.

And you don't wanna know what goes on inside the hermit huddles in my tank. What happens in reefit's garage stays in reefit's garage.