Anyone know of any local professional tank builders?

MVPaquatics

Does anyone know any good sources of local professional tank builders?

I am looking to install a large tank for a customer and have questions I think only someone with large tank construction experience can answer.

It is going to be a fairly large tank...possibly cold water marine....

The client is requesting approximately a 45'' cube tank. I instantly leaned towards acrylic, probably 1 inch at least (for strength, show, and fog prevention). However, this is a little outside my league to build, and am not sure of proper bracing methods, materials, etc.

I tried james at envision but he hasn't replied (email or phone and his mailboxes are now full).

I was hoping to find someone local (to avoid shipping costs/hassles and keep the money local), and want someone reliable because there will be more.

I contacted him both email and phone...I have seen his tanks...they are the caliber I want...I can wait a little longer, but business doesn't wait.

I am willing to entertain private builders, but you must be willing to stand behind your work...

I tried glass cages.com to get a quote, but shipping is outrageous, and I would prefer to keep it local. But time is a big factor.

Are you talking 45 tall too? How much are you wanting to spend? If it"s actualy a 45 inch cube and you want 1 inch material your looking at about $1700 just in material. I have built up to 500 gallon tanks' date=' not an easy task! plus are you going to need a stand and canopy?[/quote']

Yeah they want a really deep tank...Minimum probably 3 feet...I am meeting with them monday to talk more about specific dimensions...they also seem interested in a large cylinder also (like 3-3.5 foot diameter).

Money isn't a huge issue...they are definitely looking to impress...but any saving I can procure just insures the business deal.

No need for a stand...this will be taken care of, as well as the hood.

We haven't locked in a tank size...other than large and impressive. I just need a builder

You'd be foolish not to contact James.....even if it takes a little more time. There's a reason that his clients include Monterey Bay, Steinhardt, Shedd....plus many more. I would not even consider anyone else for a large project. Stopping by his shop is hit or miss....but, he is there most business days depending upon his current workload. I went by his shop this last Monday around noon (to discuss my next tank) and he wasn't there.....but, I was also at his shop about 2 weeks ago and he was crating up some large Kreisel tanks for Cal academy Sciences......and I don't think he had much of a back order after that major project......so, he could probably get started on your project quite quickly. He might be away for a few days. Keep trying.

I agree with being werry of having ruben build it, but if you talk with him and let him know he needs to build it out of cellcast acrylic and tell him that you expect it have presentable seams and to be full of water when you come to pick it up to prove it dosn't leak then your odds are allot better for a quality tank, oh and also tell him you want all the acrylic to be the same thickness and what thickness you want, oh ya and tell him you want a singal piece top ( otherwise he will piece it together )

You'd be foolish not to contact James.....even if it takes a little more time. There's a reason that his clients include Monterey Bay' date=' Steinhardt, Shedd....plus many more. I would not even consider anyone else for a large project. Stopping by his shop is hit or miss....but, he is there most business days depending upon his current workload. I went by his shop this last Monday around noon (to discuss my next tank) and he wasn't there.....but, I was also at his shop about 2 weeks ago and he was crating up some large Kreisel tanks for Cal academy Sciences......and I don't think he had much of a back order after that major project......so, he could probably get started on your project quite quickly. He might be away for a few days. Keep trying.[/quote']

I def agree!! If James can get it done then go with him for sure, besides being local, his tanks are top quality!!

It is going to be a fairly large tank...possibly cold water marine....

If you're going this route and unfamiliar with temperate reef keeping, you might want to talk to me (especially about stocking and filtration) or visit my 400 gal cold tank (built by James). I'd be happy to discuss anything about it since it is very different from warm water reef keeping. Here's a pic of mine...

fullview640.jpg

endview640.jpg

grunt640.jpg

catalinagoby.jpg

steve...I would love to speak with you sometime. I have seen your tanks in a book (I cant remember the name) and oregonreef.com. I am planning a move to Portland within the next month. I plan on extending my maintenance business there. That should give me enough time to organize some questions.

I will be patient and I will tell the client it's worth the wait...I have seen his work and know his references...I was just looking around in case I was too "small potatoes" for him. haha

I believe James is delivering a tank down to Monterey Bay, When he finished mine he was working on thier tanks and said he was to deliver them in Nov. I think he was going to truck them himself and make a vacation out of it. If you can wait it would be well worth it

My advice MVP is to wait on James, tell your client that James is delivering a tank and you'll be able to get in touch with him after the Thanksgiving Holidays, cause I'm willin to bet he'll be back after that.

I personally wouldn't trust anyone but James or possibly Charles to do a large acrylic tank.

James if you can wait for him. otherwise i would go to Tenecor for a custom build. It is not easy to get a perfect seam with 1" acrylic and you may even want to go thicker.

Hey, I recognize that name. My tank was a custom build by Tenecor. (It has the website, phone number, and name in the lower right corner) It's 30" tall with a really nice radius (2" maybe?) on each of the front corners which is pretty cool.

If your client is as upscale as you make them sound then they are going to want the best, Ruben is out of the question since his work is crap. Sorry but I won't sugar cote this one.

James is your guy, there's a reason he has so many high end clients... For gods sake there are people in Japan that have Envision tanks! He's built multiple tanks for me and he'll stand behind his work 100% I wouldn't even consider having anyone else build an acrylic tank.

It's simple, tell your clients your are working with a world class acrylic fabricator to build their tank. If they want the best they'll understand.

As far as cold water goes... Steve is the man.