Hitchhiker ID please

jos3f

Hey so I just recently got this kenya tree coral frag and to my surprise there were a few hitchhikers on the little rock. There are some zoas and also what appears to be some kind of anemone. Anyone know what it is? Did I get lucky or is it the dreaded aiptasia... here's some pics

IMG_2456.jpg

IMG_2445.jpg

IMG_2444.jpg

IMG_2443.jpg

if you can cut the twig or rock so you don't disturb it thats the best way. other ways are torch it off with butane torch, but thats probably not an option here, kalk paste into its mouth or sometimes aiptaisia-x works on them but usually takes a few times. They are tough to kill and multiply fast, chopping or scraping them off only makes the problem worse.

thanks for the heads up, I took it out and all i had were pliers on me. Being careful not to damage the kenya coral I kind of squish the mojano but tried to make sure I got rid of as much of the twig it was on as possible. hopefully it doesn't spread

thanks for the heads up' date=' I took it out and all i had were pliers on me. Being careful not to damage the kenya coral I kind of squish the mojano but tried to make sure I got rid of as much of the twig it was on as possible. hopefully it doesn't spread[/quote']

Squishing it is bad. You can't kill them that way, instead it will cause them to multiply. Don't worry too much about hurting the Kenya Tree Coral. They also can be cut and even smashed and the result is usually more than what you started with. Take a hack saw or chisel to the rock if you need to to cut the Majano off.

Note: Be careful of the zoanthids though. Use rubber gloves and goggles when your working around them.