Skimmer Advice - Go BIG!

oxx155

I have never been real happy with my Reeflo Orca 250 Pro and ASM G-6 working together. I am sure someone could get better use of them, but I really need something better sized to fit my system.

So, what does everyone recommend for a 900 gallon system with about $3,000 available for budget.

I am leaning toward the ATB Deluxe 18 Internal.

I have heard great things about Bubble King also but just don't think the price tag matches the performance and that I could get something almost as good or just as good at $1,000's less.

I could get an ATB Deluxe 18 Internal with Self Cleaning Head for $4,000, but would have to spend over $5,000 for a Bubble King Deluxe 500 standard (and possibly wait 4-8 weeks).

I have also heard of Becketts and many other types of skimmers (standard, cone, beckett, external, internal, hang-on, etc.).

Since I have had both Internal and External I tend to lean right now towards Internal so that I don't have to have an extra pump to provide water, and I have done the overflow to Skimmer thing and it just doesn't work for me.

Anyway, I would love any and all advice or thoughts.

And yes, I will probably be selling my Reeflo Orca 250 Pro (extended neck, large collection cup, new Dart Gold Needle Wheel Pump) and ASM G6 with 3 Sedra 9000's recirculating and Gate Mod.

I am thinking about a New Year Garage Sale, and those that know me know that I don't sell junk and I usually sell cheap because I am not in it to make a profit, just changing to new stuff (hopefully the wife doesn't notice, LOL).

Man dont get me started :) I agree that the BK's are too much.

You are on the right track with the ATB's. There are also the new Super Reef Octopus skimmers. Heres one

Super_Reef_Octop_4cc09fdae5005.jpg

http://www.reefspecialty.com/virtuemart/12-protein-skimmers/65-super-reef-octopus/104-xp-cone-series/472-super-reef-octopus-xp8000-external-protein-skimmer.html

Thats the external version. Wowza! 16"

I switched from the reeflo orca 250 into the Super reef octopus 5000 pictured above (not sure if that is the 5000 or the 8000, they look identicle.) I have it on about 450 gallons with an auto cup cleaner from avast marine.

Look around, skimmer technology has increased dramatically as well as performance and prices have plummeted (at least for most manufacturers excluding deltec and BK, lol).

The internal SRO 8000 sells for about $1100 at Reefspecialty who run it on a 1600 gallon system! IMO the difference in skimming between this and the ATB is not worth $2000. Have avast marine build you a "swabbie" to fit the SRO for about $200 and have a kick a$$ skimmer for less than $1500 setup.

I switched from the reeflo orca 250 into the Super reef octopus 5000 pictured above (not sure if that is the 5000 or the 8000, they look identicle.) I have it on about 450 gallons with an auto cup cleaner from avast marine.

Look around, skimmer technology has increased dramatically as well as performance and prices have plummeted (at least for most manufacturers excluding deltec and BK, lol).

The internal SRO 8000 sells for about $1100 at Reefspecialty who run it on a 1600 gallon system! IMO the difference in skimming between this and the ATB is not worth $2000. Have avast marine build you a "swabbie" to fit the SRO for about $200 and have a kick a$$ skimmer for less than $1500 setup.

Yeah the pics look really close. If ya click the link below thought its the 8000 External. Smokin skimmer!!

Man dont get me started :) I agree that the BK's are too much.

You are on the right track with the ATB's. There are also the new Super Reef Octopus skimmers. Heres one

Super_Reef_Octop_4cc09fdae5005.jpg

http://www.reefspecialty.com/virtuemart/12-protein-skimmers/65-super-reef-octopus/104-xp-cone-series/472-super-reef-octopus-xp8000-external-protein-skimmer.html

Thats the external version. Wowza! 16"

Maybe I am wrong, but it just doesn't look as well built as the ATB Deluxe 18.

It would be nice to save money, but I want to get a quality skimmer thats going to the job for the next couple of years to come with very little worry, I would rather focus on other parts of my system.

Maybe I am wrong, but it just doesn't look as well built as the ATB Deluxe 18.

It would be nice to save money, but I want to get a quality skimmer thats going to the job for the next couple of years to come with very little worry, I would rather focus on other parts of my system.

If you can, get the ATB. You will be happy and it will pay you back and last for even more than 2 years. A few weeks ago I had your same dilemma, just smaller.

I really liked the idea of an external, so I was gonna get the SRO 3000 ext.

I saw it in action and I liked it, great machine and superb pump. Then I saw the ATB econo 840 and I loved it.

I ended up buying the 1050, so I will be good for when I will add some more gallons to my system. The build quality and the design are just amazing. You can throw a lot of water and bubbles into a tube (a cone actually), but the way you get them out makes the difference. My skimmer has zero turbulence, it's a manner of balance between body shape and pump.

Each single model they put on the market is tested and tuned for months. What I didn't like about Reef Octopus is that they came out with 25 new models each year. There are some models that were on the market for just a month. Think about who bought them and saw the new model with a new pump for sale at a similar price a week later.

A couple of plus of ATBs deluxe models: they keep their price in case you want to sell, the double diffusion plate, the triple cone and the noise (the bb are known to be noisy).

You can also consider i-tech, they are great skimmer too.

Ok, after this long email I want some commissions from ATB Usa in case you buy one lol

I agree that the ATB is a great skimmer... but is it worth $2000 more.... IMO no. Even If you had to replace a pump a year which I don't forsee as I have never heard of a problem with the bb pumps besides a little noise, you would still never be into it for the $3000 for the ATB. Put that 2000 towards better equipment in other places. Sure a skimmer is important, but with new technology such as bio-pellets, more and more of the work removing waste is being done biologically instead of mechanically. Who knows what kind of product will be available in 6 months or a year down the road

I've heard good thinks about reef dynamics (formally euro-reef). Seems to be priced way below what you are looking to spend Link $1600 for a skimmer "Ideally suited for "Mixed Reef" aquarium systems of 1000 gallons with a medium/average bio-load"

Euro Reef is a bunch of dinosaur technology compared to what is out now.

attachment.php?attachmentid=9293&stc=1&d=1289870002

Best skimmer I've ever owned, in just the few days owning it it definitely pulls lots of GUNK!

Great skimmer! Be careful with the difference of performances. I upgraded too a few weeks ago and I'm having some troubles to let the system adjust to the new nutrients levels.