Opions and suggestions on anti siphon devices

AquaticEngineer

Now I know the only sure fire way to have your sump not overflow is to make sure and leave enough extra room for water volume. With my new cold water tank I will be stopping flow to the main filtration when the auto feeder comes on so I am trying to decide if a solenoid valve, or a flapper valve, or a one of those valves with the free floating ball would be the best choice.

Any suggestions, experiences, and opinions would be great : )

I have one of the flapper types, have had it for two years. It hasn't given me any trouble, but I do have sump capacity to handle it if it does fail. It is just nice not to lose several inches in the display when I turn of the return pump for cleaning, feeding, water changes, etc.

My current returns come up through the bottom of the tank and run up to the waters surface. I am wanting to cut them down flush to the visible tank bottom.

I think I may go with a rather redundant option and use 2 anti siphon valves, one a flapper type and one that has a ball that floats inside suspended until the water puts pressure on it.

This what there is no mechanical devices to fail like a solenoid, and the chances of 2 valves failing on the same line at the same time is pretty slim.

My current returns come up through the bottom of the tank and run up to the waters surface. I am wanting to cut them down flush to the visible tank bottom.

I think I may go with a rather redundant option and use 2 anti siphon valves, one a flapper type and one that has a ball that floats inside suspended until the water puts pressure on it.

This what there is no mechanical devices to fail like a solenoid, and the chances of 2 valves failing on the same line at the same time is pretty slim.

There is a way to plumb it where the tank will not drain completely with the returns at the bottom that doesn't rely on the valves but it requires plumbing an extra pipe behind the tank that is up to the water level along with an extra tube run into the tank that is normally submerged. (when the water starts draining the extra tube opens up letting air in which breakes the siphon) It would be a bit of a pain to plumb it this way but I would prefer it to relying on valves (even if there are two of them).