Need some input from those advance aquarists and educated hobbiests.

CA2OR

So....as I am sure this is said over and over....especially by me....I think I made a bad decision....again. I ordered an egg....was supposed to be a marble cat but when it arrived I quickly noticed it is a banded bamboo.DOH!....anyway.....this wasn't supposed to arrive for a month...but it shipped the next week..(comp)..very bad for timing.

Please advise if you see anything I post to be inaccurate.

I currently only have a 60g cube.....WAY to small(scary). But I am working, and have been, on moving into a 180 to 240...the later being the better choice. I was only looking at these 2 tanks because the marble only gets 24 inches by my research where the bamboo gets like 30 and requires a 300g. Please let me know if this isn't accurate.

When I ordered the egg I also put in a line for a queen trigger and titan trigger:D.....can you tell I am shooting for aggression(naughty)? Anyway after some research I quickly cancelled the 2 triggers..(sad)..as they will pick on the shark..(enforcer)..from what I read anyway.

I placed the egg in my sandbed as that is where I was told to put it....but again after reading I am finding that suspending it is a better idea.....how do I do this? I read that low to medium flow is ideal....but does lighting have any affect? I don't want to fry the guy....I have a 250w DE HQI which only sits around 4 inches off the surface.....how far down do I suspend it?

What signs am I looking for, for an unhappy or unhealthy shark?

The shark only appears to be about 2 to 3 inches max with a decent sized yoke....maybe the size of a ping pong ball....how long do I have before this badboy hatches? after cancelling the triggers I added another egg...in hopes of getting the opposite sex...the dude told me he could tell sex and he SAYS he sent me a male.....unfortunately I cannot cancel the eggs once ordered and paid for....which these are....is there any issues with having both a bamboo and a marble?

I am hoping that this thread gets updated frequently as I will be posting as many updates and questions as I can. Pic's will be coming tonight along with a video. The shark is active in the egg(plotting).

Current tank mates are:

Lawnmower blenny

Melanarus Wrasse

Hippo Tang

Snowflake eel

Serpant Starfish

Skunk cleaner shrimp

Snowflake Eel

hermits

snails

Niger Trigger....little worried about this one...but also my favorite fish in the tank....pre-shark that is(whistle).

do you forsee any issues with the above listed?

I have read to avoid Lionfish but I dont understand why....the puffers and aggressive triggers I read will pick at the eyes of the shark so those are understood....but is the niger in the same boat?

lastly, I recently stubbled upon wetwebmedia and having just started doing alot of reading....Bob Fenner seems to be a huge resource there....now if I can just find out where he lives, find a van with blacked out windows, ski mask, taser, and duck tape I would have a good resource at home(naughty)....all jokes aside....please understand....this wasn't supposed to arrive for a month so I assumed I had time to do plenty of reading BEFORE this arrived.

I would prefer to NOT be picked apart here as I already know that I am in "bonehead" zone ATM. But I refuse to fail and I refuse to punish ths animal anymore than putting it in an aquarium. I am fully aware that I am currently up poopy creek at the moment but I fully intend on accomidating these and learning as much as I possibly can to provide a happy and healthy environment here.

sounds like an adventure, i have a buddy thats growing one out in a 110G. he's had his egg pouch for at least 3 weeks now. not sure when its supposed to hatch. maybe 30 days? i can't imagine they are much bigger than 4-6 inches when they hatch. i would expect that the niger trigger would probably leave it alone. but as with anything, these are just speculations based on general info and past behavioral averages, each fish is different and you will most likely have to deal with some territorial scuffles. If you are to worried about having it in your tank, it can always come live at my house. ;)

I do realize that I might have to find a new home for the bamboo....hopefully the marble doesn't show up this week too....they said a month there too....if it does I will be running a full on hatchery....DOH!....but I won't be giving up without a fight.....sharks are the MAIN reason I got into saltwater in the first place....and when I got the okey doke to get a shark I happily started dumping all my corals.(rock2)

Yeah I am reading that they can get pretty large too.....just checked the email and the second one coming is a Coral Cat Shark....max length 24 inches....much better.

pic and video of the egg....sorry with my phone....will be getting better vid and pic's tomorrow.

2010-10-26_17-27-44_180.jpg

and video....sorry for audioswap....in law kept talking

That's funny....I did the same thing the other day....figured there is no point in keeping it like that....disagreements are a part of life...its moving forward that is important.

remember, it isn't how hard you get knocked down....it's getting up that matters.

That 300 is less than $500 delivered. Includes pumps, canopy, stand, and a bunch of stuff I can sell......(naughty)....Kinda scary right? Considering I was thinking about a 240 cube for $1500(nutty)

300 probably has huge crack or something.

So....as I am sure this is said over and over....especially by me....I think I made a bad decision....again. I ordered an egg....was supposed to be a marble cat but when it arrived I quickly noticed it is a banded bamboo.DOH!....anyway.....this wasn't supposed to arrive for a month...but it shipped the next week..(comp)..very bad for timing.

Please advise if you see anything I post to be inaccurate.

I currently only have a 60g cube.....WAY to small(scary). But I am working, and have been, on moving into a 180 to 240...the later being the better choice. I was only looking at these 2 tanks because the marble only gets 24 inches by my research where the bamboo gets like 30 and requires a 300g. Please let me know if this isn't accurate.

When I ordered the egg I also put in a line for a queen trigger and titan trigger:D.....can you tell I am shooting for aggression(naughty)? Anyway after some research I quickly cancelled the 2 triggers..(sad)..as they will pick on the shark..(enforcer)..from what I read anyway.

I placed the egg in my sandbed as that is where I was told to put it....but again after reading I am finding that suspending it is a better idea.....how do I do this? I read that low to medium flow is ideal....but does lighting have any affect? I don't want to fry the guy....I have a 250w DE HQI which only sits around 4 inches off the surface.....how far down do I suspend it?

What signs am I looking for, for an unhappy or unhealthy shark?

The shark only appears to be about 2 to 3 inches max with a decent sized yoke....maybe the size of a ping pong ball....how long do I have before this badboy hatches? after cancelling the triggers I added another egg...in hopes of getting the opposite sex...the dude told me he could tell sex and he SAYS he sent me a male.....unfortunately I cannot cancel the eggs once ordered and paid for....which these are....is there any issues with having both a bamboo and a marble?

I am hoping that this thread gets updated frequently as I will be posting as many updates and questions as I can. Pic's will be coming tonight along with a video. The shark is active in the egg(plotting).

Current tank mates are:

Lawnmower blenny

Melanarus Wrasse

Hippo Tang

Snowflake eel

Serpant Starfish

Skunk cleaner shrimp

Snowflake Eel

hermits

snails

Niger Trigger....little worried about this one...but also my favorite fish in the tank....pre-shark that is(whistle).

do you forsee any issues with the above listed?

I have read to avoid Lionfish but I dont understand why....the puffers and aggressive triggers I read will pick at the eyes of the shark so those are understood....but is the niger in the same boat?

lastly, I recently stubbled upon wetwebmedia and having just started doing alot of reading....Bob Fenner seems to be a huge resource there....now if I can just find out where he lives, find a van with blacked out windows, ski mask, taser, and duck tape I would have a good resource at home(naughty)....all jokes aside....please understand....this wasn't supposed to arrive for a month so I assumed I had time to do plenty of reading BEFORE this arrived.

I would prefer to NOT be picked apart here as I already know that I am in "bonehead" zone ATM. But I refuse to fail and I refuse to punish ths animal anymore than putting it in an aquarium. I am fully aware that I am currently up poopy creek at the moment but I fully intend on accomidating these and learning as much as I possibly can to provide a happy and healthy environment here.

I have had experience with about 10 of these eggs/sharks in my retail days....owner would buy them and I would take care of them.

Nori clip works great...I had them in about a 280 gallon (8foot) tank. I hang them about halfway down and have had them under a 6 bank t5 or 400watt hailde. (I believe in nature they are attached to grass blade type things). Medium randomized flow is optimal as that is how the shark gets new O2.

You can tell a healthy shark by the movement inside....should look as if almost swimming inside...yolk gets smaller...shark bigger...then its almost all shark packed inside...it almost always hatches at night. they are usually about 4 or so inches give or take and depending where you measure it. they will hide a lot upon first hatching. they seem to like the dark. Can take anywhere from 30-60 days depending on capture size.

about max size....really really depends....books from wild specimens get 3.5feet. I like to think aquarium animals usually get aroun 2/3 wild size give or take environment, diet, and size at capture.

I would not mix with those specific triggers...wild titans reach 2.5 feet and have an big tendency to get bored/destructive in captivity. but you already found this out im sure...how about a blue spot ray? When mixing sharks you must provide ample space and match sizes...if it looks like food they will try and the damage is usually done.

I have no info as far as sexing...but would be interested to know.

youre using fine sand correct? Also, round tanks are best...they spook easily and will fly into glass or out, plan a sturdy lid!

I always preferred to have no tank mates until it hatches and feeds readily.

They are easily bullied and very shy at first. The hardest part is finding what food to feed....I usually try everything the local seafood place has chopped small and try to locate where it is (usually hiding after hatching) and drop the foods to it. Also the can be crepuscular...active dawn and dusk.

Probably avoiding lions incase of ingestion other wise i think it would be fine (unless you get one of those panicy sharks that paces) Lions dont like to be stirred up.

email me if you have any more questions.

Mike