T5 lighting and zoas

XrayGuy

I have a Sun System Teklight w/4 T5HO bulbs (2x Actinic White and 2x Super Actinic) and I am wanting to know if there is a better combination that would make the lighting similar to MH that would make the colors of my zoas stand out instead of them looking more or less dull. I will be upgrading to MH in the future, but it is a ways out due to $$. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

IMG_9761.jpg

IMG_9760.jpg

IMG_9759.jpg

IMG_9756.jpg

IMG_9762.jpg

Personally, I'd keep the T5HO system, I just upgraded my 150w MH over my 40b to a 6x39w 36" tek light and couldn't be happier with it. It just gives you so many options, especially in regards to the color you can get, that a single MH can't give you. Just talk to some of our more knowlegable members visavis T5's and they can get you set up on a bulb configuration that will make your corals POP!!!!

• Like 1

Personally' date=' I'd keep the T5HO system, I just upgraded my 150w MH over my 40b to a 6x39w 36" tek light and couldn't be happier with it. It just gives you so many options, especially in regards to the color you can get, that a single MH can't give you. Just talk to some of our more knowlegable members visavis T5's and they can get you set up on a bulb configuration that will make your corals POP!!!![/quote']

seriously, try the UVL 454's. they are half the price of the geissman and ATI bulbs and when i saw the difference my jaw hit the floor.

The only other fixture that can give off a kind of shimmer effect similar to halides are LED's, but you go big on LED's and your price goes high.

• Like 1

seriously, try the UVL 454's. they are half the price of the geissman and ATI bulbs and when i saw the difference my jaw hit the floor.

The only other fixture that can give off a kind of shimmer effect similar to halides are LED's, but you go big on LED's and your price goes high.

I will be picking a couple of these bulbs up this week to see the difference. I looked them up online and it looks like they peak higher, so yeah hopefully they do the trick. Thank you for the input ReeFit! :D

So I went to Saltwater FantaSeas yesterday and they had only one of the 454's in stock, so when I got it home, I put it as my front bulb so my bulb order is as follows(back to front):

- Geissman Pure Actinic 54w

- UVL Actinic White 54w

- UVL Actinic White 54w

- UVL 454 54w

I noticed a big difference in the colors of my zoas, especially when the daylight lights are off. Thanks for the advice again!

I have a dual 175w MH Ballast here for a great deal if you decide to get MH. (Might even do a part swap for T5 bulbs)

Thank you for the offer, but if/when I upgrade to MH, I am going to get a fixture that has dual MH + 2 or 4 T5's...it will be a while before I can afford one though because they are pretty spendy.

That gut reefit seems to know what he's talking about sometimes..lol. Just kidding. Robert is the man!

So I went to Saltwater FantaSeas yesterday and they had only one of the 454's in stock, so when I got it home, I put it as my front bulb so my bulb order is as follows(back to front):

- Geissman Pure Actinic 54w

- UVL Actinic White 54w

- UVL Actinic White 54w

- UVL 454 54w

I noticed a big difference in the colors of my zoas, especially when the daylight lights are off. Thanks for the advice again!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk