Greetings! I'm new

XrayGuy

Hey there,

I have a 55 gal reed tank( my first saltwater tank) that I set up a couple of months ago. I am looking to possibly find some fellow reefers in my area to be able to get together with once in a while so I can continue to learn and/or improve on the way I am doing things, trade frags, etc. I live in Vancouver, WA. So far, I LOVE this as a hobby and I find myself staring at my tank for at least 1-2 hours per day :D

IMG_9775.jpg

Welcome to the forum xray!(clap)

There are a lot of knowledgeable people out your way. Off the top of my head I would say:

Rick, Saltfinsax, Shane (USCG..something or other), Mick (JGF...something or other)

are very helpful!

I guess Robert and I don't exist in Vancouver.....lol

Welcome to the boards. Plenty of helpful people in Vancouver as well as the portland area.

nice. But those damsels will become problems later for you. You will want to remove them before you really get into corals. It will probably be a whole tank job. Take out all the rock. Put the rock and all but one inch of water into buckets, totes, tubs, tupperware, etc. Then catch the bugger fish. Put back all the stuff and never have it look as good as it used to... :(

There is a reason that the first part of the word dam-sel is... well this is a family friendly site so I won't print it.

Get yourself the obligatory pair of clowns (probably grown over in Vancouver by Barleycuda AKA Dave) and maybe a dwarf angel (some can be coral nippers so be careful), and another one or two fish (Lawnmower blenny is my favorite, but others like watchman gobies).

Otherwise, your tank looks great for a starting tank. :)

dsoz

+1 on damsels being attitudes-great hearty fish for cycling a tank, but they were a pain to catch.

Dont go tot he extreme of removing everything yet-if you decide to get rid of them, they dont play well with others.

Get a fish trap, you dont want to mess with that aquscape if you can avoid it.

OH and my words of wisdom for all nubes-DIP all your corals before they go in your tank

proactive husbandry

I guess Robert and I don't exist in Vancouver.....lol

Welcome to the boards. Plenty of helpful people in Vancouver as well as the portland area.

(laugh)(laugh)Ah hell! I knew I was going to offend someone for forgetting them!DOH!

Yes of course add Reefit and Noobtosalt to the list!(laugh)(laugh)

Welcome, for a 55 the aquascaping looks great. They are hard to get really looking good because of the depth. I agree with Dennis. Get the damsels out early. There are a bunch of us up here (I'm just east of I-205 near Orchards). I started listing people and gave up as I know there were several I was missing.

nice. But those damsels will become problems later for you.

Yeah I have noticed that my domino damsel chases everyone around and nips at me when my arm is in the tank lol. The others seem ok though. Here is what I have in there:

- 6 Green Chromis

- 1 Domino Damsel

- 3 3 stripe Damsels

- 1 Yellowtail Damsel

- 1 Blue Devil Damsel (? all blue one..i think thats what its called)

- 1 Dragon Goby (I love this guy but he gets sand EVERYWHERE)

- 4 Nass snails

- a few Cerith snails

- a few turbo snails

- a few hermits

- 1 Brittle Starfish (with 3 full length legs and 2 half length from acclimation lol)

- 1 Emerald crab (that just molted the other day and now is twice the size!)

- And I just took the sponge crab that I had for two days over to Woody at Seahorse because I cought the bugger eating some zoas and a mushroom (learned my lesson about believing the girl at Alley Cat at the Vancouver mall...NO HE WAS NOT REEF SAFE!)

- Kenya Tree

- A number of different zoa/pally colonies that I dont know the name of (got them from Ocean in a box except for I got my first one from Saltwater FantaSeas)

- Some assorted mushrooms

- 75lbs live rock

- 20 lbs of live sand

- Softball size caulerpa glob on rock in sump (advised by Woody)

I think that about covers what I've got in there right now.

Well some people are just offensive but we just roll with it-(whistle)

Usually you can tell alot about a person by their avatar-:p

LMAO! What's offensive about cute children showing their love of the Cowboys?(laugh)

So if you are judging by your Avatar, yours appears to be a beautiful rainbow colored chalice!;) You must be like Clay! Sunshine and Smiles and Share the Love!;)(laugh)