Cyano

lucid

Whats the best way of getting rid of CYano Bacteria? Im starting to turn out the lights for a few days, see if that helps. My skimmer gets pretty nasty after only 3 days, if that has any relation. Just need to find the source of the problem and need some pointers.

cyano treatment is the best way. get as much as you can out of the tank with a suction tube and your hands. Then dose the treatment (found at any store) per the directions on the bottle. don't run your skimmer while doing this. It will go crazy and skim it away so it's less effective. I have some of this stuff if your coming out here today. Give me a call...

There are several preventative measures you can take as well. I'm not a big proponent of the treatments. Cyano feeds on phosphates in the water, so some phosphate remover in your overflow sock or in a bag in your filtration system will help remove it's food source so that it can't grow back. Also, turning the lights off won't do the whold job. Cover the tank with a dark sheet or towel to block out the natural sunlight as well. Another thing to do is to place one or two powerheads...depending on tank size...up high in the tank to agitate the surface of the water. This changes the way the light acts in the tank and helps slow the growth as well. Also, if you feed frozen food, rinse it with RO water after it is thawed out. There are a lot of nitrates and other stuff in the fluid the food is frozen in. Make sure you use a vacuum tube to suck as much as you can out of the tank before you cover the tank. Leave it covered for 2 or 3 days. Your fish should be fine unless you have something like a mandarin. If you do turn the light on just long enough to feed and kill it again. After you take these steps it should die off pretty well and you should be able to keep the stuff from growing back so fast if at all.

Matt

I can honestly say I tried everything I could for 5 weeks to get rid of cyno without using CC and could not completly get rid of it. For all the trouble of trying to fight it off with out treatment it would've been way eaiser to just use the treatment in the first place. It does cause a small problem with skimmers but IMO well worth it to get rid of that s@#$!

The issue I have with the treatment is that it this...

It does kill the present cyano in the tank...great...for a while.

It does NOT fix the underlying issues that are causing the cyano in the first place. You need to take the steps to remove the excess phosphates and increase the flow in the proper places to keep the cyano from reoccurring. This isn't a wasted effort. IF it does not cure the cyano fast enough for you or not completely, use the treatment like I said previously. I just don't recommend relying solely on that. I try to set my system up so it doesn't come back. The treatment is expensive. If the cyano keeps coming back...$20 a box (wich treats 300 gallons) gets expensive real fast. So why not take a little time and set it up so you only have to spend the money one time...or not at all???

Matt

I had red slime for quite some time. I added a new remora skimmer, new koralia and a new light fixture. None of this worked to get rid of it. I used the Chemi-clean and it's gone and hasn't come back. I think fixing the issues is imperative, but it didn't kill it off. I was trying really hard not to treat the tank since I had never put any chemical at all in there, except iodine, for a year and a half since I set the tank up. But it worked, and worked well.