Not leaving the hobby but I am making a big change

CA2OR

Just thought I would give you guys a heads up. Although I am not leaving the hobby....I am leaving coral. After a 3 year stretch I have found my tank to be boring. I designed this tank around the corals with the fish as an after thought....well no more. My system is currently in the progress of being parted out.

I am currently contemplating either a 240g that is available or asking Wanareef to build me a tank....I am only $150 away from the 240 ATM for tank, stand, canopy already drilled for closed loop. I am going to design this tank around aggressiveness. I am shooting for Triggers, Lionfish, maybe a grouper, puffer and wolf eel or something. I have also secured 2 baby cortez stingray's. I am going to try and hold onto my Melenarus Wrasse, Niger Trigger, and LMB....maybe even both. But all the rest of the fish are gonners....

I am not allowed to post in the classifieds here so I apologize for being unable to allow you guys to get anything I have. But I am sure if you are "savy" you will locate my thread. So after the coral is gone....then the fish and remaining rock will be listed....then finally the equipment. I might hold onto my skimmer but I am unsure....might be too small for the new tank.

I will be coming back to coral after I get the tank populated. I am doing a DIY rock wall along the back of the 240....which is 96x24x24....and the wall will start 4 inches off the bottom of the tank and end 4 inches from each side.....it will go all the way to the top though. I am doing DIY so I can have overhangs and outcoves for the corals when ready, while still having the entire bottom of the tank sand. This way the stingrays will have plenty of room and the sand line will go all the way to the bottom of the wall. I will be putting a ton of LR in the sump and fuge though.

I am going with LED's for the main display light....I will be putting a 250w or 2 around the middle to prepare for the coral to be added. The LED's will run the entire length. I am thinking of keeping my 250w HQI lighting to use as a fuge light....that way I can grow frags down there without issues.

Anyway....just wanted to let you guys know. I am keeping the 14 running with the prizes for the Zoa Grow Out Competition as well as the grow out frag I have. There are a couple corals I am keeping....mostly due to rarity...but to give you an idea here is what has happened so far to show this is serious.....it is all going.

Sold already are.....

1 frag of Stupid Brights, 1 Rainbow Milli frag, Lakers, Both Candy Cane frags, Tubbs Blue's, Dendro, Fuzzy Mushroom with extra's, Radio Active Dragon Eye's, Blue Angels, Insane Purples, Worcester, Nightmare, Unknown Rainbow, Frag of stupid brights, Insane Metallic Orange, Orange Rainbowm, Fuzzy Mushroom with extra's...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I assume there were complaints after I pulled my sponsorship. I think it is because I continued to post stuff for sale. So I can't post a thread in classifieds (which is where share the love is by the way) for 6 months. That way I guess the members would feel satisfied that I am not a sponsor but just a member with a tank....which is what I am and always have been.

Either way....it is of no consequence. I am staying involved in the group buys, and continueing to run the grow out....I will just be reducing down to a 14 for a couple weeks until I move into the 240....maybe longer if I go with Wanareef but might be better off that way.

Anyone familiar with closed loops and wave systems? The current tank I am looking at is plumbed for 2 closed loops....I am curious if I can use one for sump and fuge and the other remain closed...is that possible?

That way I guess the members would feel satisfied that I am not a sponsor but just a member with a tank....which is what I am and always have been.

I don't want to go off topic, but I feel like a clarification is needed.

Unfortunately for a few weeks you have been a licensed business operator and a sponsor of this forum with the name of "CA2OR Corals".

For this reason the BOD and officers decided for a 6 months suspension from the classifieds section in order to not generating confusion about your position.

This is the reason and this is what was communicated to you.

Thank you

I don't want to go off topic, but I feel like a clarification is needed.

Unfortunately for a few weeks you have been a licensed business operator and a sponsor of this forum with the name of "CA2OR Corals".

For this reason the BOD and officers decided for a 6 months suspension from the classifieds section in order to not generating confusion about your position.

This is the reason and this is what was communicated to you.

Thank you

I wasn't complaining about it....I agreed with the BOD's decision and have been respecting it.

I will call you in just a few....but what I was visioning was filtration inbound would pull down low in the tank and the return water would pour in high.....does that makes sense?

Unless your filtration is sealed or at the same height as the tank this will not work. The low drain will fill up the filtration and then flood. FWIW I almost made this mistake on my second tank.

I agree with Frank but not necessarily for the same reason (Though that is also a good reason). After running mine for over a year I started really looking at the power draw of different components. The conclusion I came to is that my closed loop was the largest draw of anything at 150w which gave me 1800 GPH of flow. I can use two 1200 GPH Koralias giving me 1/3 more flow and they only use 8.5 watts each (17 total). That's a pretty substantial difference when you consider that they are running 24 hours a day.

I wasn't complaining about it....I agreed with the BOD's decision and have been respecting it.

Thank you for your understanding Eric.

But this time you are not allowed to post in the classifieds because we want you to keep having corals :)

Kidding, I hope you will keep some corals in the 14 gallon tank for when the coral fever will be back!

Pulling water from the bottom and dead spots are not a concern if the flow within the tanks is adequate. Do some searches on Jake Adams and Gyre's( i hope I spelled it right). It will amaze you.... There are several videos of tanks that Jake has set up without closed loops that are phenomenal. I saw his presentation last fall and it was a real eye opener.