Acrylic scratch removal

jos3f

Hey guys, so I'm in the process of cycling my 75 gallon. The tank is acrylic that I bought used and it had lots of scratches that I thought I could live with when water was in the tank. The more I look at my tank though, the more it bugs me. There's a big section in the front that has so many small scratches that it appears fogged up from far away. I just wanted to see if there's any products or methods people recommend for removing or reducing them. I can live with the occasional big deep scratch but fogging up a whole section of the tank is such an eyesore.

Since I already have water and live rock in it, probably any method using a kind of polish chemical is out of the question. Anyone ever use this kit http://www.marinedepot.com/Lifegard_Aquatics_Acrylic_Scratch_Removal_Kit_72000_Tank_Cleaning_Kits_for_Saltwater_Aquariums-Lifegard_Aquatics-RB1551-FIMTCK-4-vi.html ?

Also I wonder if I could by the micro mesh sheets individually and save myself $20-30, like getting some of these: http://www.micromark.com/MICRO-MESH-8-000-GRIT-4-x-6-,7606.html?sc=WGB&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=GoogleBase

Well I don't know if its just that simple. You need somthing flat (foam block ect.) to keep your fingers from making deeper spots which you will see from a side view. And the finishing compounds with the super fine grit will keep it from "fogging" up giving it a crystal clear look. The deeper the scratch the wider the area you have to start scratching up. But for scratches that say wouldn't catch your finger nail when rubbing across it they can be removed with moderate effort. Theres plenty of detailed instructions online.

Id recommend a strong mag float with the sand paper on the inside of the tank. the mag float will make the paper stay flat. make sure what grit of paper you get is right, depending on how deep the scratches are, i might start with a 1500 grit and work my way up to 8000-12000 grit this just depends on how deep your scratches are. SWF does sell these kits and also rents out a strong magnet for use.

i just polished a tank last week.

the reason i say polished is because i didn't use sand paper(which is buffing). if you go to tap plastics, you can get a "#2" acrylic polisher that does just about everything for two bucks, then you can get a buffing wheel at an auto store. then you just apply the goo and use the wheel. this involves no sand paper, and is really cheap. the best part is that there is no damage that can be done to the tank. this will make any scratches look smooth and be invisible with water. however if you are picky, then you use some sand paper, start heavy and go fine, then you goo it up and polish. it is that simple. don't be fooled.

any more questions, just shoot me a pm

I am wondering???? if you use the sand paper it leaves lots of invisible to the naked eye scratches which algae will have something better to hang on down the road. Let's say that I have a piece or acrylic that's perfect, and another that has been buffed out. Which one will get algae grown quickly?

Hope you see my point.