Return size for 40 breeder

jackaninny

I'm going with the 700 GPH overflow box from http://www.glass-holes.com and I need some advice for return(s). I fall into the camp of 'the less equipment I see the happier I am' but I don't know if I can get away with a single return.

Glass-Holes has 1/2" and 3/4" return kits with 6" of Locline. Suggestions for which one and how many I should use? I will have 20L sump/fuge and a Eheim 1262 return pump.

I'm going with the 700 GPH overflow box from http://www.glass-holes.com and I need some advice for return(s). I fall into the camp of 'the less equipment I see the happier I am' but I don't know if I can get away with a single return.

Glass-Holes has 1/2" and 3/4" return kits with 6" of Locline. Suggestions for which one and how many I should use? I will have 20L sump/fuge and a Eheim 1262 return pump.

I have the same setup, 40b and 700gph gl*******s, and I opted for a 3/4.

But depends on what you are gonna keep in it. Mine was setup for sps and I like more turnover for that purpose

The Eheim 1262 has a 3/4" outlet. Could I pump enough flow through a single 3/4" return line or should I go with 2 return lines?

I will have an MP10ES in the tank so I should plenty of flow.

One 3/4 bh is able to push more water than your overflow box is capable of.

I have a barracuda on it (so potentially as much flow as I want) and I have to throttle it down a lot or the 3/4 (single) will overflow the tank.

If I remember well through a 3/4, in full pressure, you can fit a few thousand of gph. There is a table somewhere online... I should save more links lol

i pump 2500gph through a single 1" line that splits to two 3/4" lines on my 125g, 1 1250gph pump through a single 3/4" line on my 55g. The size of the return pump line isn't as critical as the return overflow lines ability to handle the flow going back to the sump.

I would probably go with 3/4" however keep in mind that a larger line can actually slow the return down since the pump needs to push a greater volume of water up from the pump to the tank. A 3/4" line has about twice the volume (approx.) of water as a 1/2" line.

I would probably go with 3/4" however keep in mind that a larger line can actually slow the return down since the pump needs to push a greater volume of water up from the pump to the tank. A 3/4" line has about twice the volume (approx.) of water as a 1/2" line.

running a 3/4 line up will keep options open, he can always reduce to 1/2" at the bulkhead if he needed to get more pressure.

running a 3/4 line up will keep options open' date=' he can always reduce to 1/2" at the bulkhead if he needed to get more pressure.[/quote']

Which is why I would probably use 3/4" myself. Reducing to 1/2" will not reduce the loss of pressure though due to the volume being pushed up to the tank. I.E. If it was reduced to 1/2" right at the pump the resulting pressure would be greater at the tank than it will be if it's reduced at the tank instead because there is less water volume being pushed up to the tank. (approx 1/2 as much)

On second thought I think I would use 1/2" on this tank. 1/2" is capable of handling way more pressure than I would ever want to put through a 40g tank.

Which is why I would probably use 3/4" myself. Reducing to 1/2" will not reduce the loss of pressure though due to the volume being pushed up to the tank. I.E. If it was reduced to 1/2" right at the pump the resulting pressure would be greater at the tank than it will be if it's reduced at the tank instead because there is less water volume being pushed up to the tank. (approx 1/2 as much)

On second thought I think I would use 1/2" on this tank. 1/2" is capable of handling way more pressure than I would ever want to put through a 40g tank.

either way he's running a 1250gph pump with a 700gph overflow box, so he's really not restricted at either end. it will most likely just best to use whatever the pump is setup with to reduce plumbing fail points and costs.

That pump is only a 900 GPH pump with about 790 GPH at 4' of head.

ahh, well that would change my oppinion as well. i too would only use 1/2" for a 40b if that was the size of pump i was using. I currently have a pressure rated external pump at 1250gph at 4' on my 55g that runs 3/4" up to 3/4" lockline that splits off in a Y and its almost overkill when its wide open.

Eheim 1262 = 900 (close to 800 @ 4ft)

I've also heard good things (quiet and efficient) about the Maxi-jet 4500 which is 1240 GPH (still looking for the performance curve)

Your already pushing the limit of the overflow with the Ehiem so anything bigger will need to be limited.

By "limited" you mean either adjustable at the pump (Maxi-jet ha this feature) or with a ball valve on the return line correct?

Yes.......

I think Steve (SMann) has some 3/4 gate valves which would be even better. (More control than a ball valve)

• 2 weeks later...
I have heard that gate v. ball valve suggestion mentioned before so I will put it on my checklist.

If you need a 3/4" threaded gate let me know, I bought one from Smann that I did not pay attention to the listing and I cant use a threaded one.

Instead of backing out of the deal I just bought it-Fish flakes are bad-LOL

5.00 if interested