Ballasts lumatek or icecap?

reefnjunkie

250MH DE bulbs-looking to possibly change out the cheap odyssea ballasts

which one lumatek or icecap-

I read a thread where someone had the same odyssea ballasts I do and switched to the lumatek adjustable ballast and said the ballast blew the cheap odyssea.

Being the first fixture I bought and still absorbing to this day, I did not know/think a ballast makes a difference-it fires the light and your done.

Enlighten me oh reefers of vast knowledge (please)

Hey Brad, I lost your call...

Anyway I think I know what you were asking.

Each ballast will have a different output. All the good brands will perform extremely well and you will notice a difference compared to some cheap ones. In terms of light color, par and durability of bulbs.

Which one is better? No idea, you should try all of them and decide, according to your bulb.

For instance I decided to go for a galaxy eballast for my phoenix, while I went for a pulse start blue wave for the radiums. The blue wave was built with the radiums in mind and I think it was a good choice.

If you want I have a brand new blue wave. I'm waiting for bulb and pendant so I'm not using it right now. You can borrow it and do a test, but you have to return it as soon as my pendant will be here :)

It is supposed to work perfectly with the de 250 phoenix, even if not being the best choice from my point of view.

Test it and see the difference with yours.

Alex

Well I am looking at the galaxy dual 250-I’m curious why the blue wave, would you recommend the galaxy?

Looks like the dual blue wave is discontinued and also magnetic.

I do run Phoenix DE

I use a dual galaxy for DE Phoenix. You saw the output on my tank, but it is also a manner of reflectors. I would suggest you a Galaxy, also because it is easy to get locally at really good price.

But Icecap and coralvue will work great too

I read a thread where someone had the same odyssea ballasts I do and switched to the lumatek adjustable ballast and said the ballast blew the cheap odyssea.

Being the first fixture I bought and still absorbing to this day, I did not know/think a ballast makes a difference-it fires the light and your done.

Blew the bulb? FWIW, I'm running my Odyssea 250w DE fixture with a Macro-Aqua HQI ballast that is rated at 2.8 Amps compared to the Odyssea at 2.35 amps. (As long as the wiring is good I can't see why the ballast would blow the fixture, or even the bulb for that matter) Par levels and the color is much better with the Macro-Aqua using a 20k Aqualine bulb. I'm using the Odyssea Ballast on a 250w SE pendant right now however I'll be replacing it with a 175w Icecap Electronic ballast as soon as I can find a good deal on one. The par level is just as good with the 175w Bluewave(Icecap) ballast on an SE bulb as it is with the Macro-Aqua HQI 250w on a DE bulb and much better than the Odyssea 250w HQI.

The actual ballast is an Icecap ballast. The rest just consists of wiring with a blue box wrapped around it.

It is possible for the 175w which from what I see online is not produced anymore as galaxy (they only one they sell now is a dimmable 150/175) or blue wave. The actual product line of both the producers has pretty much the same price tag, which makes me believe the galaxy now has its own components, not sure though.

Other than wires and blue box they added a 5 years guarantee to it, which is nice when talking about ballasts.

It is possible for the 175w which from what I see online is not produced anymore as galaxy (they only one they sell now is a dimmable 150/175) or blue wave. The actual product line of both the producers has pretty much the same price tag, which makes me believe the galaxy now has its own components, not sure though.

Other than wires and blue box they added a 5 years guarantee to it, which is nice when talking about ballasts.

I think the only way to know would be to open the box and look unless perhaps you can see through the air vents. Unfortunately that would void the warranty. (There wasn't a warranty on mine so it made no difference)

I'm running one bluewave and one galaxy. I can tell you that I notice a difference between both sides of the tank with the different ballasts. I'd like to have either a double galaxy or another single galaxy based on size but the light output if you have room for the magnetic bluewave is great.

I'm grabbing the double galaxy tomorrow from SWF...

Rick I meant to type "blew it away" meaning the differance was like "night and day"-LOL

The guy sounded impressed and went on to talk about how quickly his SPS grew, that part I am skeptical about-Time will tell

Okay Brad that makes more sense. I guarantee that a new Sunlight Supply, Ice Cap, ARO, or Lumatek ballast will BLOW IT AWAY. Odyessea fixtures ya get what ya pay for. There are several threads on RC about this same subject. Do us a favor and do a PAR reading before and after??

I'm grabbing the double galaxy tomorrow from SWF...

Rick I meant to type "blew it away" meaning the differance was like "night and day"-LOL

The guy sounded impressed and went on to talk about how quickly his SPS grew, that part I am skeptical about-Time will tell

I have no doubt it was brighter.

FWIW, I use the light meter in my camera to check the amount of light reaching the bottom. Kind of a ghetto way to do it but it works to see which ones have the most light reaching the bottom.