Kendaroo to the Rescue!

Emerald525

So what is it about things going wrong when you are away out of town?(whistle) We went to Texas for a long weekend and we come back an the fish in the agressive tank are not doing well.DOH!

Then Beth finds out that our beloved Blenny has died(sad) but it gets worse....

he has clogged the external overflow box and the tank is about to flood the basement!:eek:(scary)

Once again we were lucky that we were home and Beth was able to bail the tank before there was any serious flooding going on.(clap) Unfortunately our aqualifter broke but fortunately Kendaroo happened to have a brand new one she let us use so external overflow is working again.(clap)

So lessons learned:

1.If you go out of town that's when something will go wrong(nono)

2.There are some awesome people in this forum ready to lend a hand at short notice!(clap)

3. If I had to do it all over again I would have drilled the tank instead of using an external overflow

Again Thanks Kendra for the aqualifter and thank you Beth for being there when the tank overflowed!(clap)(clap)

Just say no to overflows! Thought about a flooding switch but then I thought what good would that do. I would be like

"Oh crap Oh crap Oh crap! The basement is flooding!":eek:Nobody would likely get there in time and I would have a wet basement and a heart attack!(laugh)

Yes again even though some fish died and it was a PITA, once again I consider ourselves lucky! Beth would beg to differ last night!

If its feasible, you can modify or get a sump that has a chamber that won't allow enough water to pump up to the display. you just run a higher risk of running out of water and burning up the pump. mine are all like that, if the overflow gets clogged the sump only has about 2 gallons of water in that last chamber so the tank won't overflow.

The switch could turn off the return pump' date=' so you don't pump all the sump content on the floor. Then the Apex could send you an alarm[/quote']

We don't have an apex for that tank Alex! It's a good thought and I'm seriously thinking about breaking the thing down and drilling it!

So lessons learned:

1.If you go out of town that's when something will go wrong(nono)

2.There are some awesome people in this forum ready to lend a hand at short notice!(clap)

3. If I had to do it all over again I would have drilled the tank instead of using an external overflow

Again Thanks Kendra for the aqualifter and thank you Beth for being there when the tank overflowed!(clap)(clap)

All very true!

Kudos for Kendra! However, the pro-cannibalization signature she has does creep me out a bit. But not in a bad way.

• Like 1

Just get another power bar. Then you program the other tank independently.

You are lucky that you have all the tanks in the same room.

Also, to connect the power strip to the Apex, I think that they use standard usb cables (I have to check). So you can get a 5 feet cheap cable for having the power bar under the FOWLR tank.

You can admin the pumps, fans, feeding programs...

Plus if you get the IO extension, you can have some cheap float switches hooked up as top-off, skimmer shutoff (sensor in the collection cup), flooding alarm....

You can also get a probe extension box and connect more ph/temp/orp sensors if I remember well.

The nice side of the Apex (and other controllers) is that they see each single outlet as independent, so you can virtually create more tank as a cluster of outlets.

That's why they have the possibility to admin about 200 and something outlets. Unless you have a tank with 200+ devices connected lol

I did not know that. Really how do you get the Apex to work on both tanks?!! you are awesome Alex!

I knew this but haven't bought the dc8 brick and probes to do it yet... Might do it if we put up the other acrylic, or drill this one.

Yes, Thanks Kendra for having what I needed at 9pm!! Your a basement saver, although I still didn't sleep well last night, thinkin I would wake up to more water on the floor!

Beth

• Like 1

wow glad it didnt get any worse for sure! Im very paranoid about flooding, my tank has triple redundancy. An internal corner overflow, inside that i put in two durso stand pipes... then to keep my paranoia going i also drilled a hole in the back of the tank at the top of the water line, put in a bulkhead and put in a pvc 90 inside the tank pointing up so if the durso's get plugged that will take over and send the water into the sump

wow glad it didnt get any worse for sure! Im very paranoid about flooding' date=' my tank has triple redundancy. An internal corner overflow, inside that i put in two durso stand pipes... then to keep my paranoia going i also drilled a hole in the back of the tank at the top of the water line, put in a bulkhead and put in a pvc 90 inside the tank pointing up so if the durso's get plugged that will take over and send the water into the sump[/quote']

Wow Roy that's being safe! Impressive! We should be more careful given there is close to 400 gallons flowing in the basement!(laugh)

Do you wear Depends too!;) Just kidding!