Tired of the light and ugly stand

pnkrcklives

I bought all my equip used. And over the last year have decided that I dont like the tanks stand(very strong but weathered and old), and having no hood was fine. Till I added halides. Now I have way to much light in the room. So how do I solve both of these problems without building a new stand/hood combo. Then breaking down the tank to transfer. Risking the live stock. Well here is the start to my solution...

It is a standard 90. But I am building in three shelfs on the left side with doors. Two large doors on the top and bottom of the tank. The cover is roughly 6x6x3. It should make the tank look like its built into a false wall. While still being able to slide away from wall to access the whole tank/stand if needed. But should have plenty of access for normal maintenance through the doors. It really does make sense in my head.

The pics are of it laying down then standing up. Kinda confusing without explanation. Once I get all my practice on this one. I will come build one for you Grassi. I need an excuse to come see your new set up anyway. I really wish I would have done it like daniks in the first place. His setup is amazing would love to see it in person some day. Next tank will be built in a wall for sure.

It is a standard 90. But I am building in three shelfs on the left side with doors. Two large doors on the top and bottom of the tank. ......

Looking at the picture I think I would go with 3 doors on the side. That way the top and bottom doors could be the same height as the ones above and below the tank. Or perhaps leave the center shelf open.

Weird the one picture is sideways. Well you will just have to tilt your head lol. Here is the progress. The top is installed,vented, and fans installed. All the opening have been trimmed out. With one hundred feet of oak trim. The custom crown molding is built and installed on the top. Now just to install the divider, shelfs, and doors. I still have two doors to finish first. Then comes the fun sanding and prepping the whole stand to be stained. Then hopefully next weekend I will be able to do the final install. GOTTA GIVE THANKS TO MY DAD IF NOT FOR HIS MASTER WOOD WORKING SKILLS IT WOULD JUST BE A PILE OF STICKS OR A NICE BACKYARD BON FIRE!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The blotchy look is from the wood that has more or less end grain showing in the cut angle of the wood. This shows up a lot more in softer woods.

You might try using a wood conditioner or sealer and then try to stain the doors again to match the frame, if thats color your after.

One trick you might try is use a fine sponge and wipe or blotch the light spots and leave the stain there and lacker over it.

Nice looking cover btw.

By the time I was done I had figured out that the best way to apply it was just a little area at a time and then use papper towels to wipe all of the excess away before it had a chance to dry. I started stripping it down with acetone to redo with regular stain but I sold the tank and stand before I got around to doing it. (I did do a small area to see if it would work) The main problem with that particular stuff is that it doesn't cover evenly if you try to stain it like you would normally. I.E. You can't brush it on and let it soak in. Personally I'll never use that stuff again as it was a lot more work than doing it with a stain first and then varnish. (So much for the one step easy way out)

Yep my one step easy solution turned into a nightmare. Oh well there is always next time. I gave in and just painted the stand with a custom mixed color(as close to the stain I picked as possible). It is going to look ok just no where as good as a well stained piece but should be adequate for what I am after.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...