Clown trouble?

pnkrcklives

I have mated perculas that host a bubble tip anemone on the right side of my tank(90 standard). I have a maroon clown that hosts a kenya tree on the left side of the tank. All has been fine and dandy for 5-6 months. But just in the last 48 hours. I have noticed the female(bigger) percula over hanging around the maroon. They get along fine. Then the male(smaller) percula will go over. Then the two perculas begin to fight locking mouths and vibrating. Female seems to be protecting the maroon. I thought I would have some fighting issues between the two species. But not between the mated pair of perculas. Anyone have and insights?

I would need to see it however I'm guessing this is a mating ritual between the two perculas. It is normal for them to appear to be picking at each other and then one or the other (the smaller usually) to shiver (or vibrate as you called it). It does this to send a message to the larger one that it accepts the other as the dominant one and is kind of like a mating dance. I do find it interesting that the perculas are getting along with the maroon though. My perculas are quite aggressive towards maroon clowns. (If I put one in they will try to kill it)

Update the maroon clown is now inside(hosting) the bubble anemone on the right side of tank the smaller percula is kinda handing around there and will not let the larger percula anywhere near they have been fighting enough the large percula is showing some minor damage on her upper lip area(whitish color) wish I had a fudge right now

So from what I can tell by my reading, and watching the clowns. I have decided the male percula(small) has decided he is tired of not being alfa. So he has mated to the smaller maroon clown. Leaving the female(large) percula the third wheel. The bad part is when the female percula tries to get to her anemone. She gets beat up by the male percula. Who is gaurding the maroon clown who is in the anemone. It makes no sense to me either. So do I get another anemone or remove one of the clowns if so which one.

So from what I can tell by my reading' date=' and watching the clowns. I have decided the male percula(small) has decided he is tired of not being alfa. So he has mated to the smaller maroon clown. Leaving the female(large) percula the third wheel. The bad part is when the female percula tries to get to her anemone. She gets beat up by the male percula. Who is gaurding the maroon clown who is in the anemone. It makes no sense to me either. So do I get another anemone or remove one of the clowns if so which one.[/quote']

well what pair do you like? I would remove the maroon and hope the others pair up again. Or remove the 3rd wheel and let the mismatch stay... sooner or later it may be too late. I hope someone with a little more info will way in here.

You wanted it you got it. Looks like the Smaller of my two perculas has mated to the maroon clown. They are both laying together in the same anemone. The larger percula is hiding in a cave healing from her battles(I hope). I will try for some pics tonight. My lights are off when I leave in the morning.

Further update! I got home last night to find both perculas with very torn up mouths. So I made some calls to find a babysitter. Till I can decide wich one(s) to keep. While watching the fish. I Noticed the maroon clown and the small percula hiding in the same anemone(still) and the larger percula hiding in a cave directly below the anemone. It was feeding time, and I noticed all three clowns out eating together and bringing food to the anemone(no fighting at all). They all settled back into their same spots I was pleased. I look at the tank this morning and noticed all three clowns in the same anemone with no fighting(for 15 min while I watched). So maybe my fighting is over and they have decided to be friends again. An input would be appreciated.

Further update! I got home last night to find both perculas with very torn up mouths. So I made some calls to find a babysitter. Till I can decide wich one(s) to keep. While watching the fish. I Noticed the maroon clown and the small percula hiding in the same anemone(still) and the larger percula hiding in a cave directly below the anemone. It was feeding time' date=' and I noticed all three clowns out eating together and bringing food to the anemone(no fighting at all). They all settled back into their same spots I was pleased. I look at the tank this morning and noticed all three clowns in the same anemone with no fighting(for 15 min while I watched). So maybe my fighting is over and they have decided to be friends again. An input would be appreciated.[/quote']

Clowns habits and moods will change at a moments notice. I wouldn't bet they will all be friends forever, especially if they are spawning, thats when they get aggressive. but i'm not an expert on clowns.