PhosBan Reactor

Hozer21

Phosphates

Hello Jose,

First, I do have a couple of reactors out in the "bone yard" in my back yard. I'll make you a killer deal on one if you want one. There is not much to them. How big is your tank and how large of a reactor are you looking for? Before you start dumping money, like I did, at your LFS fighting phosphates let me share some things I learned in my Struggle. I fought phosphates in my 210g mixed reef tank (lots of tangs). This is very important: phosphates are not just an aquarium problem. It is a problem in lakes, streams, swimming pools, HOT TUBS, etc. Before you start buying the grossly over priced stuff at the fish store and start running a reactor let me share some things I learned. The products that are offered in the LFS usually deal with low phosphate #'s. The products that promise quick and dramatic drops in higher phosphate #'s are expensive and come in small bottles and do not list their ingredients. After researching the subject I found the "Secret ingredient" to be Lanthium Chloride. This is what is used in almost all products that deal with phosphates. Swimming pools, hot tubs, lakes and rivers. You can buy it by the quart at your local hot tub store for about 30.00. It will not be called lanthium chloride but it will be listed as such in the ingredient list. The brand name of the product I used was "SEAKLEAR" 1 quart treats 20,000 gallons. A shot glass in my tank is what I used. This caused the phosphates to "precipitate" out and then I filtered them out using a mechanical type filter. My phosphates dropped from off the chart to below 10 in just a few days. Google Lanthium chloride and you will find more details. A reactor is more of a maintenance item than a cure for an off the chart Phosphate reading. I do not run a phosphate reactor. I do run a Calcium reactor, a Kalk reactor, a Sulpher reactor, and two protein skimmers. I buy my calcium Chloride for my calcium reactor at wall mart (Morton side walk deicer), my magnesium sulfate supplement is found at Walmarts pharmacy (epson salts). I love my LFS but I work hard for my money. I hate to give it up. Hope this helps. If you still want a reactor pay the postage and the cost of a 1/2 rack of Coors light and I'll let you have one of mine. I do not have any media. These are just my opinions. Take em or leave em. If you want feel free to call me at 541 621 0081. Good luck Gary

How do you determine how much mag sulfate(Epsom salt) to dose? I have around an 80 gallon system and would like to bump up my mag#'s do you use mag chloride too?

Check the You Can Help sticky thread. Somewhere in there is a link to calculate the dosage.

reeftripper, Do you get your Kalk at the local hardware store too? I picked up a big bag (Maybe 40 lbs?) at Parkrose Hardware for $11.

How do you determine how much mag sulfate(Epsom salt) to dose? I have around an 80 gallon system and would like to bump up my mag#'s do you use mag chloride too?

Found it: http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

Put your gallons in at the top, then select epson salts from the right column and put your current and desired magnesium levels in to calculate how much you need. I buy the large bags at the pharmacy as it's a lot cheaper to get that way.

Epsom salt

Found it: http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

Put your gallons in at the top, then select epson salts from the right column and put your current and desired magnesium levels in to calculate how much you need. I buy the large bags at the pharmacy as it's a lot cheaper to get that way.

Sweet thanks! Still would like to know however, do you need to use mag chloride too? I noticed on places like BRS they have you use 2 parts.

Sweet thanks! Still would like to know however' date=' do you need to use mag chloride too? I noticed on places like BRS they have you use 2 parts.[/quote']

It's a debatable subject. It mentions in the notes when you run the calculator that water changes are important to keep it balanced. I don't use both however it's mainly due to not being able to find the mag chloride anywhere. (Once I do then I'll use both)