Jay R's 240g 8’ Bar-Top Reef Tank

jayR

Finally got settled into a new home and decided to start a thread on my new tank.

Tank:

96”x24”x24” by Envision Acrylics

Overflow: Center back w/ 1.5” drain, 1” return & 1.5” dry line

Filtration/Equipment:

40 Gallon Sump

Octopus RPS-3000 Skimmer (Rated up to 400G)

Quite One 4000 return (approx. 500-600GPH after Head Loss)

6” socks for mechanical

100-150 lbs of LR for biological

150 lbs white sand

3-4 300 watt heaters

2 Koralia K4’s

75 Gallon Water Mixing Station

6 Stage RO/DI system

20 Gallon Q-Tank

Lighting:

4x54watt T5’s

2x250 Metal Halides

All on timers to simulate a dawn/dusk affect

Stand/Canopy:

DIY 44” Stand/Canopy skinned with ¼” mahogany stained to a dark brown

My goal is to have a higher then normal stand (as I hate stooping down to look at tanks) and while browsing the web for stand ideas I ran across this:

1.jpg

A bar-top style stand and boom! I was sold. I didn’t like how the granite rounded to the sides of the tank… So mine will be just have the front ledge and will be 9”-10” deep.

In addition, I did not want the sump and equipment under the stand as the space is limited and access is sometimes harder, making it difficult to maintain the thing. It also lessens the chance of the floors to possibly get wet and possibly ruined if disaster strikes. So I decided to do a remote location for all the equipment into my garage. I also always liked the KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid!) method and this was also one of my goals.

Below are pictures of progress over the last month and a half:

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

6.jpg

As usual comments/suggestions/tips are greatly appreciated!

Thanks for the compliments guys!

Once I get the granite ledge installed, I'm planning on adding some trim to the stand to give it a little more style.

FYI: the whole front stand cover easily pops in/out.

I still have to:

Wait for the granite and install

Design, Install Lights and stain canopy

Setup RO/DI Unit

Clean up some wiring

I notice that the front vertical center brace for the stand was added after the rest of the stand was built (since it's a different color). Were you hoping that you wouldn't need that brace - that the top support would be strong enough, or were you always intending to add it?

It's a detailed question, I know, but I'm getting ready to build a stand myself (though only 48") so was just wondering.

Thanks. It's looking very nice - I can't wait to see the granite added.

You're very brave to drill holes through the exterior. I was thinking of cutting a hole for a fan / heat vent, but I think my wife would kill me.

awesome tank' date=' where did you buy it? im looking to upgrade to a 240g on day.[/quote']

I got the tank from James @ Envision Acrylics - He is sponsor on these boards.

I've had 2 custom tanks with him and his craftsmanship is first class.

I notice that the front vertical center brace for the stand was added after the rest of the stand was built (since it's a different color). Were you hoping that you wouldn't need that brace - that the top support would be strong enough, or were you always intending to add it?

It's a detailed question, I know, but I'm getting ready to build a stand myself (though only 48") so was just wondering.

Thanks. It's looking very nice - I can't wait to see the granite added.

You're very brave to drill holes through the exterior. I was thinking of cutting a hole for a fan / heat vent, but I think my wife would kill me.

Hey Jason - Every question is welcomed.

Yes, I was always going to add the center brace. It probably didn't need it but peace of mind won the battle. It also would never get in my way as I'm hardly working in that area anyway.

My wife felt the same way when I told her about drilling holes in the wall, but she liked that fact that it would not be noisy and chances of wet spills are least likely.

I will also be drilling a 4" hole for a duct line in the canopy > outside to prevent heat and importantly moisture issues.

PS. Granite was ordered today and should have it installed during the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
OMGosh.

BEST concept IMO...The reef counter.

Love the woodwork, stand, canopy, overall design.

I would suggest some action shotz...for example, take a picture of people chowing dinner at the reef counter.

Overall awesome presentation.

Yeah it looks awesome man and i think it would be cool to see that as well

The only reason it would be necessary is for piece of mind. Each corner 2x4 is capable of holding something like 18000 lbs. and almost all of the weight of the tank rests on the end corners. With an acrylic tank the center of the bottom will bow downwards so it should have a full sheet with a brace across but the lengthwise 2x4's on end are more than enough to support the middle. FWIW, My stand (6 feet) is quite similar to this except that it doesn't have the center brace.

Jay, looks great.

The only reason it would be necessary is for piece of mind. Each corner 2x4 is capable of holding something like 18000 lbs. and almost all of the weight of the tank rests on the end corners. With an acrylic tank the center of the bottom will bow downwards so it should have a full sheet with a brace across but the lengthwise 2x4's on end are more than enough to support the middle. FWIW, My stand (6 feet) is quite similar to this except that it doesn't have the center brace.

Jay, looks great.

Did you add a 0 by accident? A 2x4 will not hold that much weight on each corner. Just for comparison purposes and your own judgment, an 8' 2x4 properly braced as to not allow for deflection stress should not be over 3000lbs. Consider that you never want to build to the max, always overbuild to sleep at night. The calculations are very complex when it comes to structural engineering, many factors can change overall total load capacity such as bracing, framing techniques, and shear panels and even species and grades of wood.

Beautiful build, congrats! I really appreciate the clean lines of your stand. Simple but beautiful, and doesn't take away from the tank itself.

I was curious as to your long term plans for the tank? With 2x250w halides, and 4-T5's over that large of a tank, it seems like your lighting coverage will be under par for high needs corals. Also, with only 2 K-4's, it seems like your flow would be on the low end also(I had 3 K-4's, modded with large impellers in my 125g).

Also, what thickness of acrylic was used in the build?

All in all, beautiful tank man. Has some amazing potential.

Did you add a 0 by accident? A 2x4 will not hold that much weight on each corner. Just for comparison purposes and your own judgment' date=' an 8' 2x4 properly braced as to not allow for deflection stress should not be over 3000lbs. Consider that you never want to build to the max, always overbuild to sleep at night. The calculations are very complex when it comes to structural engineering, many factors can change overall total load capacity such as bracing, framing techniques, and shear panels and even species and grades of wood.[/quote']

No, I did not add a zero by accident and it appears I was a bit low on my figure. Here is a table to use: http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood/strength_table.htm

Using Western White Pine as an example it has a compression strength of approx 5040 psi which when multiplied by the 5.25 square inches on the end of a 2x4 results in a figure of 26460 lbs. of compression strength per 2x4. The deflection strength of an 8' 2x4 doesn't really concern us much since the design of the fish tanks themself prevent any substantial weight from bearing on anything but the corners. (In effect the 8 foot length and or any bracing is just holding the corner posts in position) We would need to get into the physical properties of glass and acrylic and how much weight they can handle before compression would cause the sides to buckle which is what would need to occur for any substantial weight to be anywhere other than the corners but suffice to say the tank would need to fail before it would do so. If we actually engineered the stands we built and then say doubled the figures we would find that one by construction would still be adequate which is almost certainly why many mass produced stands are built with just 1x2's and 1x4's.

Beautiful build, congrats! I really appreciate the clean lines of your stand. Simple but beautiful, and doesn't take away from the tank itself.

Thanks... I kind of like the clean lines and the contemporary look. But once I get some trim I may dress it up a little.

I was curious as to your long term plans for the tank? With 2x250w halides, and 4-T5's over that large of a tank, it seems like your lighting coverage will be under par for high needs corals. Also, with only 2 K-4's, it seems like your flow would be on the low end also(I had 3 K-4's, modded with large impellers in my 125g).

The 4 t-5s are quite enough for actinics and yes the 2x250s don't quite get good coverage across an 8' span. But since my plans are mainly soft corals and lots of fish I think for now it is quite adequate. I can also add a 400w in the center and keep hard corals in that section at a later time.

1 of my K4s are modded and it definitely puts out some serious flow. I'd like to mod the other one and shop for another pair in the near future.

Also, what thickness of acrylic was used in the build?

1/2" all around but has minimal deflection in the front/back.

All in all, beautiful tank man. Has some amazing potential.

Thanks again!