WTB/WTT VHO bulbs/cooling fans

pnkrcklives

I have two VHO 46.5inch bulbs. They are brand new(never out of the package.) One is an aqua sun the other is a super actinic. I would like to trade twoards two actinic bulbs either 46.5 or 48 inch. A complete VHO setup. Or Some cooling fans for the hood I am building(looking into at least 3 3in fans)

Fans are easy. Run to the local computer shop and pick them up there. (They are the same thing) Then take an old laptop brick (or even some chargers) that puts out between 12 and 18 volts and use it to power them. (ultimately try to keep it around 12v however I've run them on 20v without any issue) You can even get 3 speed fans to set it to whatever speed works. (I turn them up in the summer ands down in the winter)

Will computer fans be enough to cool a 400 watt MH in a hood? I guess if I used enough it would be. I was even toying with the idea of some linear flow design. Using squirrel cage fans out of heater boxes for cars. I am an auto technician so I have a ton of those. And they could run off a very small power inverter.

Will computer fans be enough to cool a 400 watt MH in a hood? I guess if I used enough it would be. I was even toying with the idea of some linear flow design. Using squirrel cage fans out of heater boxes for cars. I am an auto technician so I have a ton of those. And they could run off a very small power inverter.

If you look inside the fixtures you will find the same fans you often find in PC cases. You will also usually find a small 120v to 12v transformer in them as well. When I had my 400w lights running in a hood (I use 250w pendants now) I just used one 4" 3 speed PC fan at the end to exhaust heat out. One 4" fan at each end (one pulling air and one pushing it) should be plenty. If you run 3" fans I think I would use 2 at each end.

Clay, I am your biggest fan.

Hey PNKRCKLIVES...the fans that Clay has work AWSOME. He as a 8 bulb T-5 fixture and 3 massive 400 halides in his canopy ( halides only 3 inches off surface) and with 4 fans it cools it just fine. You should be able to wire them into a controller also and have them kick on when needed.