repairing tank brace

Chief

My old 72 bowfront's brace is broken. It is a very thin piece of plastic. Can I glue in a piece of acrylic to replace it? The brace was very flimsy to begin with. What do you think? I would like to sell this thing someday.

Jay

My old 72 bowfront's brace is broken. It is a very thin piece of plastic. Can I glue in a piece of acrylic to replace it? The brace was very flimsy to begin with. What do you think? I would like to sell this thing someday.

Jay

I might be able to help ya with that..... :)

I saw a posting at RC where someone had a similar problem -- their MH had melted through the brace. They replaced the brace with some metal cables bolted in place. I don't remember all the details, but in retrospect it seems like metal cables would really suffer from corrosion.

I'd probably try splitting the difference, and bolting a piece of acrylic in place (then covering the exposed bolt with nailpolish, or some other varnish). I'm not sure I'd trust a glue joint between two different types of plastic.

Andy

A good quality 2 part epoxy would work fine. I have some extra plexi laying around you can have as a band-aid. If its an All-Glass like mine I have a good idea what to do depending on where your fracture / break is..

I saw a posting at RC where someone had a similar problem -- their MH had melted through the brace.

That is exactly what happened to the brace. And hey, Nyles... seems like you may have a working visit in store for our place! laugh We do have plenty of acrylic lying around. All I know is I'd like to get the danged thing fixed and off the back porch! Then to get rid of that ridiculous Dolphin 8800, the tsunami maker.

FYI, there is such a thing as too much flow. Ask our former tenant, the yellow-shoulder tang who was slammed into the front of the tank when Jay fired that up then shortly succumbed to the "Great Reef in the Sky". :mad:

Stacy

Errrrr....

Out of all my fish all seem to do fine other than a single Yellow Tang, he always seems to find the intake of my closed loop sequence pump and gets stuck to it. Someday I will spread the intake out wider. But thats another project.

As far as the brace sounds like a simple fix. If it where me I would sacrifice looks and keep the brace and drill pilot holes, cut a few small bolts to size (I have some s.s. ones that will work) sand down the 2 ajoining surfaces (the new plexi and the old euro brace) and sandwich it with the combo of the bolts to retain till the glue sets. Its a little overkill, could do without the bolts.

But you seen how much I overbuilt my hinged hood with t-5's too.. lol