It Might be a dumb Question but ...

Hozer21

One of my buddies said you should change your sand out every couples years and I have done some reading online and in Magazine and they say not to because you would lose allot of important biological organisms(sad) and not to mention the hassle of removing all the rock,corals & ect.... So what do you folks out there think or have to say about it. I was just wondering why you would and does it really help you in the long run ??

i wouldn't mess with your sand unless your having severe problems with nitrates and ditritus buildup. some like to take a little out and replace with fresh every now and then, but i would agree, its not a good idea to mess with your biological filtration if its working good. If you move the tank and tear it all down, or upgrade, that is the ideal time to wash and replace sand.

some feel that you lose buffering characteristics with your sand as it ages, which is true, but its not a significant amount that it affects your tank detrimentally. If your tank is getting into the 5-10 year range then i'd consider replacing it with new sand.